What to do with compost?

• 9 Replies

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
What to do with compost?
« on: September 09, 2014, 00:15 »
Hi folks, I have two large wooden compost bins, on of which is almost "cooked" and the other is nearly full of fairly fresh stuff.  My problem is I will have a load more stuff to compost over autumn and no more bin space! Should I spread the cooked stuff on my beds are they become empty or is it waste to put it on now instead of spring?  If I could empty that bin I could easily fill it again and leave it over winter.  Or should I bag up the cooked stuff or just make a heap of it somewhere on the plot? Advice welcome!

colin120

• Experienced Member
Re: What to do with compost?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 01:03 »
Hi
if you need the room then Spread it over your beds wont do no harm, I also have old & fresh horse manure, but I am putting my fresh manure over my beds when they become empty as the fresh manure will slow down the weeds over the winter then can turned over in Jan

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:59 »
My compost heap is huge, the size of my shed. I only dig it out every few years, so I will dig holes and bury the remains of my runner beans, sweet corn, etc, when the time comes.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:21 »
can you deconstruct the wooden bins (around the existing heaps?) If so you could just leave that heap, cooking, and build a new heap alongside for the new material.

Failing that I would just pile up the excess material into a rough heap - contain it with something if you can (straight sided heap will be more efficient than a dome shaped one).  Pallets are popular for that job, but they look a bit scruffy compared to a purpose built & bought compost bin, which might be an issue.

ptarmigan

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:30 »
I've spread some good 'cooked' compost where I'm going to put my broad beans over winter.  Then put some more down as a mulch over winter.  I'm happy with that to reduce weeding in the spring - but have read that it might be a bit of a waste as the nutrients will leach out if we have a wet winter and it might be better to bag up in old compost bags and then use it in the spring.  It'll keep the goodness, free up space in the bins and let you use it in the spring. 

Christine

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 15:41 »
I never assume that there are nutrients in compost - to me it's a great soil improver and a top up to soil in beds which will otherwise disappear over time. With my clay, all soil improver is good.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 16:55 »
Christine is correct. Never confuse compost with fertiliser.

Home made compost is good for improving the soil structure by adding humus, but it does not have a lot in it by way of nutrients.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 22:29 »
Pallets are popular for that job, but they look a bit scruffy compared to a purpose built & bought compost bin, which might be an issue.

My main compost heap has pallets for sides and it certainly doesn't look scruffy. If the wood is treated with a nice brown preservative it blends in with everything nicely. My pallets cost me nowt apart from the diesel to go and collect them but I dread to think how much an 8x4x4 foot purpose built one would cost. Come to think of it mine is purpose built. I built it for the purpose of making compost!

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 22:41 »
My 3 bin jobbie is made from pallets certainly is scruffy. It was on the list for this winter to be rebuilt, but that list has to be revised now we will be moving house :wacko:.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 09:38 »
if it's ready to use now i would take it out and put into a 1 tonne sand bag, then use when you need it.

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 28 queries.