White flower jasmine

• 5 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
White flower jasmine
« on: September 04, 2014, 13:13 »
I bought 3 jasmine plants for under a tenner around Feb of this year.  As they were in flower, smelling wonderful I presumed they were winter jasmine, I kept them indoors and have re-potted them a few times. However, I can't find anything about white winter jasmine, they are usually yellow I have read. What I need to know is will they survive in the garden or should I keep them inside (they are getting rather bushy now) and if they continue to grow will be far too big for any room in our bungalow.
Thanks in advance
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: White flower jasmine
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 13:53 »
It depends on which variety of jasmine you have, some are hardy, some need to grow in a greenhouse/conservatory.

RHS advice here

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=291

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:20 »
Thanks Mumofstig,
I had read this page, but the plants have white flowers not yellow as stated. I will try one outside and hope for the best and then decide what to do with the other two.
Thanks again

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 14:12 »
The suppliers grow the summer ones in heat which brings them into flower, so you can buy them as house/conservatory plants.

Perhaps it wasn't clear but I was using the link to explain that not all the white flowered (summer flowering) ones are fully hardy.

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 19:59 »
I have 3 Jasmine plants (which have turned in to triffids)

I thought mine were house plants, but when they took over the conservatory, the wife made me replant them outside, this was about 2  years ago now

They survived the winter just past, they did loose all their leaves, but come spring they didnt take long to grow back and WOW, did they flower this year, 3 times as much as last year

They are planted next to a garden wall, so are protected from some of the bad weather, but they did get covered in snow, the year before, we never had snow this year, not even a hard frost, which is why I think they have turned into triffids and are trying to cover the whole length of the wall

I have got to trim mine back, but I am not sure when, I was guessing about October

I dont know if mine were house plants, but they have really done well since I planted them out (and the chooks like sitting under it in the summer, and they seem to keep bugs off, they dont seem to like eating the foliage either)

I would suggest, give one a try, not sure when the best time to plant out, but would think after the last frost
It's all about the journey, not the destination

beesrus

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 15:05 »
Cats seem to like sniffing and dossing down in them, but jasmine can make them quite poorly if they eat anything. My cat used to get quite under the weather until the penny dropped.

I have a mad white flower jasmine that is far too hardy for it's own good. I'm of the opinion garden centres tend to sell the hardy varieties these days... far easier to sell all year around. I don't see many yellow ones around. As said, you'll soon find out by planting one of the three out. Nothing lost, as you only need one in the long run. One plant can grow to extraordinary proportions, as prolific as virginia creepers.

xx
Jasmine

Started by greetwellboy on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2014, 05:23
by greetwellboy
xx
Jasmine

Started by Rocinante on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2018, 12:14
by Rocinante
xx
winter jasmine

Started by early4704 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 21:09
by mrs bouquet
xx
Jasmine not flowering

Started by Sheena on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2007, 20:21
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 29 queries.