Carpet on Allotment. Is it safe?

• 14 Replies

tomlxx

Carpet on Allotment. Is it safe?
« on: August 31, 2014, 15:15 »
I've recently acquired an allotment and that requires a fair bit of work done on it. However half the allotment and compost heap is covered in carpet that has been there for a fair while. The carpet in the compost heap has broken up into the soil

My concern is that the chemicals in the carpet have leached out into the soil. I'm not a big fan of growing fruit and veg in contaminated soil.

Should I be concerned and is there any way of testing the soil?

Nobbie

Re: Carpet on Allotment. Is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 18:40 »
I doubt there's anything to be concerned about, but if you're worried you could plant a crop of green manure and see how it turns out. If it grows healthily then it's probably ok. I'm not sure what chemicals would leach out of a carpet that would be dangerous. The carpet itself will be either natural fibres which will rot, or synthetics which are oil based hydrocarbons and will just breakdown into smaller pieces (like the underlay someone left on my plot). The worry would be if they've been treated with chemicals, but since they're used in homes you'd expect them to be mostly safe. On balance I'd be more worried about the chemicals that previous plot owners had used or what had been put on bonfires on the plot as this can generate some nasty chemicals such as dioxins.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:55 »
Personally I woundn't put carpet down as a mulch but if it's already been put there I'd remove it and ignore it.

Consider all the food you / we have eaten in the past..much from unknown sources I bet. Life is not a perfect science and it's hard to protect ourselves from every known source of possible risk.

Dig it over... let the weather get at it and relax. Soils are full of natural chemicals... and unless you know for sure there's something dangerous there I'd get on and plant and enjoy.

The cost of chemical analysis is pretty high I believe but I expect you could find a lab that deals with such things. My concern would be how many samples would you need to have tested... different depths... and areas. Then what?

Would you stop growing / harvesting if the results appeared a little iffy? Remove the soil and replace with new top soil? Request a new plot?

If it were me I'd relax... plant and enjoy the taste.

My dad used DDT donkeys years ago on our old plot... he made it through to 98 and I was fed on veg from the plot for over 50 years. Life's too short - stop worrying.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 22:22 »
what you don't want to do is get rid of it at your expense so  tell the council/committee you got the plot from that it can be put into a pile for them to remove.It cannot be burnt.

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 23:50 »
unlike many i do use carpet as a weed suppressant, i take it up over winter and as soon as it get anywhere near breaking down i throw it and replace.

anyway back to the topic. i have used the same carpet for 2 seasons in the poly tunnel now and i'm still here, no health problems have come from it. the crop tastes as it should so can't see there being any contaminates.

good luck, it's a real pain to get up when it's broken up. strands everywhere.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:19 »
I'm in the "worry about it" camp.

To me its like using tanalised boards for raised beds.  The boards are treated with chemicals that have been tested and found to be "safe" but presumably assumed to be used in dry construction, not half burred in wet soil in close proximity to root vegetables that will be eaten?

Conversely chemicals used in agriculture are tested in the environment in which they are used before being pronounced "safe" (and many/most? of those still get banned because they prove to be dangerous after a decade or two of being the "Best thing since sliced bread")

I feel the same with plasticisers on synthetic carpets (or synthetic backed carpets).  I expect that Best Witon is fine - all natural materials.  Probably rather rare on an allotment unless the previous owner was refitting the Queen Mary!

Weeds growing through carpet, as it starts to rot down, are a nightmare too - makes the carpet very hard to remove, hopefully you don't have that problem.

If it enough to worry about? Dunno. There will have been lots of previous owners of your allotment patch, some may have used creosote and Jeyes Fluid to control pests, a while back probably DDT and the like too ... I expect the soil has recovered since.

I put Glyphosate on mine, initially, for a kick start.  Its had no pesticides / herbicides since, but I still worry about using Mypex for mulching, tanalised boards for raised beds, and so on ...

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 10:14 »
I wish you luck with Grinling's suggestion that you ask the Council to remove the carpet.  Round here your plot is taken "as seen" and the tenant has to sort it out.   We have taken several dozen bags of old glass, metal, carpets and other assorted trash to the tip in the nearly 4 years since we got our allotment and we still have one area in the corner of the plot to deal with.   There was a skip provided for the site in the first summer we were there, but we are told there are no funds for any more.   We could have filled several skips with the waste from our plot alone, although it was in a very bad state.

ghost61

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:26 »
Carpet is banned here, unless it was there beforehand (rule came in this year).  Our council will take it away for you at huge expense to you.....

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 10:34 »
I'm still discovering carpet on mine. Some of it is buried 6inches to a foot below the other layers. Some of it is broken up into strands, and thankfully easy to see as it's red. Our plots are let 'as seen' too and there is no chance the Council will provide a skip or remove it here.

I wouldn't worry too much about the soil personally - to be honest there isn't much that you can do about it now, other than add lots of good stuff to remedy any duff balances. But I would remove all carpet as far as possible and take it to the tip.

I personally wouldn't even use carpet as seasonal weed suppressant either, because carpet is treated with fire retardants, insecticides and goodness knows what else and I wouldn't feel comfortable growing food I want to eat in soil that's been covered with that. Or food I want to feed to my family and friends. However lots of people on my site are nowhere near as squeamish and rolls of carpet appear each autumn to go on their beds.

It's heavy, and it's a pain to get rid of, but at least you know it won't grow back.  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 13:58 »
I have been known to use it on paths, I wouldn't use it on beds  ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 14:36 »
I have it as mulch around young hedges.  Not figuring to eat them, not to change the usage of that soil ... ever!

Christine

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 19:34 »
I have been known to dig carpet out from under what were six foot weeds when clearing a plot and roll it up to go in the pile for the skip. I have been heard to say a number of pertinent rude words on the matter as it was large and heavy to move. The other allotment holders understood the gist and nodded in agreement that it was a thoroughly bad idea to use carpet. It was a very visible demonstration of a bad idea.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 19:51 »
I have been known to dig carpet out from under what were six foot weeds when clearing a plot and roll it up to go in the pile for the skip. I have been heard to say a number of pertinent rude words on the matter as it was large and heavy to move. The other allotment holders understood the gist and nodded in agreement that it was a thoroughly bad idea to use carpet. It was a very visible demonstration of a bad idea.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

isakkhull

• do it with a smile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 20:00 »
My wife loves the white shagpile carpet I have had fitted in the shed. Seriously though alot of diggers here use it on the footpaths cos it keeps their wellies clean :nowink:. I have been finding bits of the stuff all over my plot so just ripped it up and tipped it.
Big Smiles

cadalot

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 07:37 »
Half of my plot was covered in carpet when I took it over....

Yep its under all that bind weed at the top end of my site ... I hopped over the leaning over skip fence onto it and found it  ::) and then later I found another fence and a gate halfway down the plot, my biggest problem was sheets of broken glass covered with soil under the carpet

I have now only the strips I used for the common path between me and plot 2A, to keep the weeds down and as a barrier against the weeds encroaching
2012-10-24 Panorama 1.JPG
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:39 by cadalot »

xx
Lazy? Weed Control On New Allotment - Using Carpet & Cardbard

Started by Purdydog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 19:04
by Purdydog
xx
What's it safe / not safe to plant after garlic?

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 09:07
by DD.
xx
carpet

Started by andyk on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 15:52
by wellingtons
xx
How bad is carpet?

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 10:15
by Mum2mj

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 29 queries.