What to grow after blight?

• 7 Replies

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
What to grow after blight?
« on: August 24, 2014, 18:17 »
My spuds have succumbed to blight. I was hoping it was just the foliage but dug down and found rotted tubers so the whole lot are going to come out next week when I get back to the plot. I know I need to dig down and find every last rotten spud but what about planting afterwards? I was thinking of just putting a green manure in for now and obviously wouldn't put potatoes in again due to crop rotation, but is this a bed which I'll have to avoid putting them in for many years to come?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What to grow after blight?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 18:30 »
Try to get as many out as you can, and make sure to pull out any volunteers that grow in the spring, then normal rotation rules apply ;)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 19:08 »
I'd give it 3 seasons before planting spuds/toms/aubs in that spot, but anything else can grow there next year.
Green manure is a good idea overwinter ;)

shevington

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 20:49 »
Obviously you should follow the standard three year rotation (at least) but make sure you grow from now on a blight resistant variety of spud. I have grown Sarpo Mira for the last three years alongside other varieties and they are  really resistant even when grown alongside affected varieties. They also make great mash, roasties, boiled and Chips. And store well into the new year.

kirpi

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 21:26 »
I agree with the idea of Sarpo Mira - we are still eating these from last years' harvest; though a little soft now. They still eat well, probably better now they are older actually - sweeter than when they were crisp.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 23:27 »
My Pentland Javelin and King Edward were totally wiped out with very early blight... My Sarpo Mira are in the same bed and still growing madly... So only going to grow SM from now on.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 23:57 »
Blight can only live on live plant material and will not persist in your soil. You should still not grow potatoes in that bed for 3 years but that is for other diseases, not blight.

Most of the affected tubers will rot away if left in the soil but a few may survive and it is these that can carry blight over the winter to affect next years crop.

Dig out as many tubers as you can and destroy them. Do not add them to the compost bin as some may survive. They would not affect your compost but if some survive the winter and start to sprout in the Spring they will be infected and spread spores to nearby crops. Also make sure that you dig out any that do start to sprout in that bed next year.

Freezing is a good way to destroy them, either put them in the freezer over night, or, if there are too man,y put them in a plastic bag and stand them out in the open over winter so that they are frosted. Alternatively send them to council green waste for composting where high temperatures will kill them

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 22:17 »
thanks for the advice everyone xx

xx
Using grow bag soil after blight

Started by maverick on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 11:41
by maverick
xx
Preparing to grow toms after blight last year?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 04, 2010, 15:55
by DD.
xx
What Fruit Trees to grow after potato blight

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 16:27
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 30 queries.