DIG IT

• 22 Replies

kirpi

Re: DIG IT
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 16:48 »
- thanks for the eBay tip. I found Phacelia to be about £1 cheaper, taking into account p&p than my usual supplier.

beesrus

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 16:53 »
Was digging several free beds today in ideal conditions. Digging is almost a pleasure when loose soil gives up it's weeds so easily. I couldn't source my faourite Winter Tares locally, I  sowed mainly red clover in among other things, more for the soil structure and organic matter thing than the nitrogen fix. I tend to stay away from mustard because of the brassica thing. I grow it at home though as a sprout on a "flannel" :)
Two or three hours digging tomorrow morning to get the other neglected bits up to scratch and then sown with green manures before the rains come middayish... perfect timing to get the seeds going. That'll be all of the green manure sorted, and no need to do anything else for a few weeks while I sadly have to find a new source of trusted animal manure.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 17:16 by beesrus »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 17:16 »
I see nobody's mentioned rye as a green manure.  I've used it once - it needs digging in quite quickly in spring or it grows really quite tall and it's a nightmare to get rotted down.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

beesrus

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 17:19 »
I tried rye once. Never again.
I can't help feeling it's a crop more suited perhaps for industrial farming under sowing for finishing off cattle.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 17:22 by beesrus »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 17:22 »

Me neither

kirpi

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 19:15 »
If you leave it long enough it makes a great lawn.

al78

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 00:55 »

Me neither

I found the Italian ryegrass was not too bad, once I realised that digging it over then covering with light excluding fabric killed it off. I would avoid using it where you are planning to sow seeds direct early next Spring.

nannytroll

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 06:48 »
My neighbour (breton) sows oats. (possibly wild ones a few years ago , but he's getting on a bit now!) He says it's cheap, quick to germinate and also rots down quickly. I just spread manure because I have soooo much of it. :)

Page created in 0.53 seconds with 28 queries.