DIG IT

• 22 Replies

m1ckz

DIG IT
« on: August 22, 2014, 18:26 »
hi all  is it too early to dig over and muck up empty plots  i have started but was told im too early  ty

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: DIG IT
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 19:21 »
Do it when you can/when you want to, I reckon  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 19:23 »
Mum, I'd agree with that :D. If you wait for the right time it might not be the right time if you see what I mean :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

LilacSandy

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 19:32 »
Doing my beds as they empty, if it is as wet this winter as last year we will not be able to get onto the ground.

beesrus

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 19:45 »
I always dig any time of the year WHEN the soil moisture/texture is right for it, nothing to do with the time of year whatsoever, usually after a good fall of rain, given the loam I have. It's so much easier and efficient. Too dry or too wet, and it's a real pain with half the plot coming up with the weeds.

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 20:21 »
I'm going to do green manure again, it worked well last year and those beds were really productive this year.

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 21:06 »
I'm going to do green manure again, it worked well last year and those beds were really productive this year.
Which type of green manure did you use cadalot?

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 22:19 »
I was thinking of green manure and would also like to know which might be best for over the winter.

kirpi

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 22:54 »
Each bed gets dug over every six years in a 6-year rotation when I dig up the potatoes. Apart from that - no dig. I have a whole workforce of earthworms do that for me.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 23:08 »
We like to get all the ground dug over and manured if necessary, before the end of December.

So, yes we start as soon as the ground is free for the year.

m1ckz

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 06:38 »
thank you all for replys   ill carry on what im doing   got a good lot of well rotted horse manure 

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 06:52 »

Last Year I used Mustard but I have also got Buckwheat and Phacelia to try this year, For a whole list and guidance on Green Manure see Johns information at http://www.allotment-garden.org/compost-fertiliser/green-manures.php and to see last years Mustard see my diary at http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=100234.msg1261869#msg1261869 it came up really quickly I was not worried about the frost killing it off because it's a short crop that you want to dig in anyway. The worms loved it and there were no signs of it the following year all taken into the soil

Bought seed from ebay - Premiere Seeds very cheap 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:54 by cadalot »

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 08:25 »
Thanks Cadalot. I'll look into that. :)

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 14:03 »
Thanks Cadalot. I'll look into that. :)
I second that cadalot, cheers! :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 16:39 »

Last Year I used Mustard but I have also got Buckwheat and Phacelia to try this year, For a whole list and guidance on Green Manure see Johns information at http://www.allotment-garden.org/compost-fertiliser/green-manures.php and to see last years Mustard see my diary at http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=100234.msg1261869#msg1261869 it came up really quickly I was not worried about the frost killing it off because it's a short crop that you want to dig in anyway. The worms loved it and there were no signs of it the following year all taken into the soil

Bought seed from ebay - Premiere Seeds very cheap
I grew 'mustard caliente' last year and like cadalot said - there's no sign of it coming back this year.
I did get a lot of weeds growing through it over winter, but it's been the most weed-free bed this year! ;)

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 38 queries.