Greenhouse disappointment

• 30 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Greenhouse disappointment
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 22:14 »
I grow tomatoes in the greenhouse because otherwise they get blight. I tried growing them outdoors for 4 years but never got a crop.

This year I've let some self-seeded tomatoes grow outside and they haven't succumbed (yet).

I think you do get more fruit on outdoor tomatoes, this year I've got a lot of aborted flowers because of the heat, but at least I get some.

Me too, my Tom's and chilli and cucumbers always better in greenhouse.  I usually get blight on my outdoor Tom's, but so far, touch wood, my 4 volunteers in my polytunnel frame are okay, and got loads Tom's coming in the gh.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 22:46 »
this year I've got a lot of aborted flowers because of the heat, but at least I get some.

I've had aborted flowers too, but on outdoor toms. Is heat the only cause? At the time most of the toms were otherwise healthy.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 23:14 »
the most important things are nutrition in your pots if using them, the size of those pots,

I haven't tried growing toms indoors yet, but this year I have quite a few outdoor toms going, a few in 10l pots but most in 42l flexi-tubs (with around 30-35l of soil in them), and the difference between the ones in small pots compared to those in flexi-tubs is day and night. Having a large container seems to buffer against extremes like over/under watering, and with a well amended soil they have not needed feeding as much.

It was certainly more work to begin with (mixing soil/filling the tubs) but since then I've hardly had to do anything. I did want to have as many as possible in the ground/beds this year, but the beds were not ready in time. In theory beds should be even better than large containers.

So far the only possible advantage I can see to small containers is that although there are less fruit, a few of the fruit on the plants in small containers seem to be ripening a bit more quickly, although this might be due to the position of the container/plant (getting more sun).

Headgardener22

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 23:37 »
this year I've got a lot of aborted flowers because of the heat, but at least I get some.

I've had aborted flowers too, but on outdoor toms. Is heat the only cause? At the time most of the toms were otherwise healthy.

No, it happens when they don't get fertilised but, I believe the main cause is heat.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 20:21 »
"man in the pub" probably had one poor crop due to not feeding his plants or something like that so comes to the conclusion that you cant grow in a gh... so why do all fruit farmers use long poly tunnels?? they are just large greenhouses..

Anyway I plant 23 toms in my 6x8 gh every year and blimey I have a forest full of delicious sweet juicy toms.. I plant straight in the ground that I prepare with manure and fertilizer then feed with comfrey tea.. that's it - nothing else.

I have an 18" path for 2/3 of the length in the centre  and plant in a U shape.. 9 each side and 3 on the end section. Yes close together but I stake them on thin fence posts, trim loads of leaves and top them when they get to the roof. still a forest by the end of the season!!

2013-07-20 18.26.52L_rs.jpg
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 23:04 »
I was given a nice greenhouse the latter part of last year and then the wind came and did this.
Thanks to a mate who suffered a bent frame in the same wind it was soon repaired.
My first year of greenhouse growing has produced not only all my brassica plants but also plenty for the allotment shop and other plot holders./ But also a bumper crop of toms cukes and some nuclear chillis

002.JPG
003.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
May the fork be with you

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 07:06 »
Splendid replies, thanks to all contributors and you've all encouraged me to make more effort next year, I'll do some reading over winter and try and get my head around the techniques, especially for watering.

I'm growing in 13" pots as seen in the pic (ignore the trickle pipe which I abandoned), I pour, roughly, half a watering can in each pot every day when it's been really hot and probably every other day when a bit cooler, I've got a little shade netting (probably not enough) and have been leaving the door open, feeding every week or so.

Maybe one of the problems I've read about is 'inconsistent watering, this difficult 'cause when I go (once a day generally) I drench the pots and they have possibly dried out by my next visit, is this one of the problems, maybe next year I'll resurrect the 'drip feed' and get a timer ?

Also I'll research the 'variety' - ideally I'd like 2"-3" fruits with 'thin' red skins and a wonderful taste, total bug resistance, tolerant to intermittent watering, happy with any temperature variance, prolific with no need for side shoot removal or 'pruning' ... I guess a visit to the market will do it .....

Headgardener22

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 08:47 »
Rogertb: you might be overwatering them. I water mine once a day, feed twice a week with half strength feed but I only give them about half a litre each day. If the water runs out of the pot, it takes all the nutrients with it so whilst there is enough water, there's no goodness.

beesrus

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 09:01 »
I agree with HG and it would seem favourite as the culprit. Half a watering can/day seems an awful lot for an average pot. I don't give mine anywhere near that amount. Best to use some form of saucer underneath that gives a quick indication of over watering, in fact use a deep one and water from below most of the time, apart from the comfrey feedings or some other feed. Many people put their large tomato pots in those large black trays.
So many times the reason for poor showings with young toms, chillies and sweet corn is over watering.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:04 by beesrus »

R@bbit

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 09:27 »
The mistake I made in the greenhouse was to put a double row of different types of tomatoes and then fill the standing space in the middle with peppers because then I had too many tomato plants in there!

This meant I couldn't keep a proper eye on each 5 litre pot for proper pruning, feeding and tying in and a lot of the fruit has either split through inconsistent watering or grown tiny fruits which are already mature and won't swell any further, because of insufficient feeding I think. Also, not enough light getting to each pot.

Next year I will plant enough tomatoes of well known and time served types to go shoulder to shoulder around the outside and then a second row of peppers, which I can move out of the way when I do my rounds - but that standing room is essential I have found. Also, I have found at least this year, my peppers are doing fine on on the sunny patio and don't need the greenhouse.

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 10:02 »
Thanks both, yes they are in those bog black trays so maybe next year I'll just keep topping those up (does the compost 'absorb' the water from the trays then) ?

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 10:15 »
You're definitely not wrong in considering growing outdoor toms, and we're doing this again on The Patch after a huge crop a couple of years ago, and this year they have so much manure to munch on, they're responding very well to frequent doses of comfrey, nettle and6x tea. They're behind - timewise - the greenhouse ones, but the flavour and texture is amazing, and they're only Alicante, which is a pretty standard tom these days, when there are so many others!

Of course, we may get blighted at some stage, but that's another post if you want to know about Bordeaux mixture or aspirin..;0)
I'm more curious about the 6X tea ???
Is that the beer?
I only ask as I use Guinness to feed my squashes and they respond very well to that.
I'm hoping I'm not the only one who tries to get their plants a bit tipsy!! :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 12:24 »
 :lol: It's tea made with this stuff

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 12:39 »
:lol: It's tea made with this stuff

Now you've made me feel bad about encouraging my plants into bad habits!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 13:47 »
Ha ha ha, Devon!

It pongs a bit, but is a great way to use a bag of the stuff (we soak about a quart into a plastic bag with a few holes clonked in the sides and bottom, and hang it inside a water butt), but it does get to the roots very quickly too!

It's great for other hungry veg like leeks, celeriac etc!

xx
Compost disappointment

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 03, 2016, 10:19
by ARPoet
xx
Swift Disappointment

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 18, 2013, 19:55
by Nikkithefoot
xx
newbie disappointment

Started by lizziemac on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 22:46
by Togalosh
xx
Spud disappointment

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 01:03
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.978 seconds with 38 queries.