Bread thread (NOT SOURDOUGH)

• 16 Replies

Scribbler

« on: July 22, 2014, 09:09 »
I'm really chuffed. Yesterday made the best loaf I have ever done. Although not technically a sourdough, using a traditional starter instead of yeast, this uses a quick 24-hour, use-once starter instead. It's described as a Spanish pan rustico and that's just how it turns out.

Normally my bread is too crumbly or short, but this is light, with lots of holes, stretchy and delicious. You really must try it. Just like a real French or Spanish loaf.

A couple of pointers though. You'll need a scraper to handle the dough as it is very wet and sticky, and a bit of a handful. You will also need to knead it on an oiled surface, and when it comes to putting the dough on floured baking paper in a baking tray, you'll need some small bulldog clips or similar - or a willing helper - to keep the paper in place when the lay it down and fold it.

I found it on my computer in my recipes folder, and it came originally from the BBC Food website.

Please give it a go - it really is worth all the faffing about.

Rustic Spanish bread (Pan Rustico) - BBC Food

With the starter mix, this is halfway to a sourdough and it’s a good old-fashioned hearty bread that keeps well.

Ingredients:

Starter dough:

150ml warm water
1 tsp caster sugar
1 sachet fast-action dried yeast
125g strong white flour

Bread dough:

200ml pint warm water
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp fast-action dried yeast
225g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
100g strong wholemeal flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing

Method:

For the starter, pour the water into a medium bowl and stir in the sugar. Lightly stir in the yeast and leave in a warm place for about 10 minutes or until a beige foam floats on the surface. Stir in the flour to make a thick paste, then cover with cling film and leave at room temperature for 24 hours. At the end of the 24 hours the paste will smell yeasty and slightly fermented – a bit like beer.

For the bread dough, pour the water into a medium bowl and stir in the sugar. Lightly stir in the yeast and leave in a warm place for about 10 minutes or until a beige foam floats on the surface.

Stir the flours and salt together in a large bowl, then make a well in the centre and add the starter dough, the oil and the recently made yeast and water mixture.

Mix with a wooden spoon and then your hands until the mixture comes together and forms a slightly lumpy and sticky dough. If the dough feels a little dry, add another tablespoon or two of water.

Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead for a good 10 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic. As you knead, push the dough away from you with the heel of your hand to stretch it as long as possible, then fold it back towards you. This will help strengthen the flour and trap air bubbles inside the loaf. Resist the temptation to add too much extra flour as it could make the dough dry. You should feel the dough change in texture as you work, so don’t be afraid to be fairly robust with your stretching and folding. Put the dough in an oiled mixing bowl, cover it loosely with oiled cling film and leave it to rise for about an hour or until it has doubled in size.

Line a baking tray with parchment and dust with flour.

Loosen the dough with a spatula and tip it on to the baking tray. Stretch the dough very gently until it’s about 30cm/12in long, then fold it in half and stretch again. Do the same thing twice more. This should help to give the dough a more holey texture.

After the third stretch, shape the dough into a long loaf shape and slash the top a few times with a sharp knife. Dust with a little flour and leave to prove in a warm place for 45–60 minutes or until it has risen again and feels light and puffy.

Preheat the oven to 240C.

Bake the loaf for 20–25 minutes or until golden brown and crusty. The base should sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.

Here's one I did earlier!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:44 by mumofstig »
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Scribbler

Bread bread
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 14:09 »
Here's the latest pan rustico. White and wholemeal on the right, white and spelt on the left.

title edit
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:45 by mumofstig »

Scribbler

bread thread
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 12:11 »
Good luck RJR. Remember it's very wet, so well oiled surface and a bit of flour on your hands. But not so well oiled it ends up on the floor...

Also I would do the stretching and doubling it says to do in the tin, on the oiled surface instead. Then gently place in the tin.

Made two lots again today, one substituting rye flour for wholemeal. Spelt flour can also be substituted for the wholemeal.

Isn't baking parchment magic! A new discovery for me.

title edit
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:46 by mumofstig »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
bread thread
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 13:12 »
Oh yes I love baking parchment, I go through loads of it as I use it when I make hubby's weekly flapjacks for work. It is so useful! Thanks for the tip! I will give it a go towards the end of the week as today is jam day....

Title edit
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:47 by mumofstig »

Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 14:37 »

Wholemeal on the left, rye on the right - I think...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:47 by mumofstig »

compostqueen

bread thread
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 19:46 »
I love spelt!   :tongue2:  Rye is a bit wierd if it's all rye, I find so I tend to mix it with something else

Lovely looking loaves there Scribbler  :tongue2: :)  I did make a batch of dough recently. Pizza dough!  I made the pizza bases and put them in the fridge til I needed them. By the time I got them out of the fridge they'd risen huuuuuuuuuuuugley  :D That wasn't supposed to happen  :lol:   I'm not doing any bread baking this week as I have to lose weight. I gained 2.5 lbs last week due to eating too much courgette loaf  :blush: :blush: :blush:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 14:03 by compostqueen »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 07:26 »
Home made pizza bases are the best! Hubby won't eat any other pizzas in the house now  :wub:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:49 by mumofstig »

Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:14 »
Try this pizza base. It was in the Independendent The spelt flour makes all the difference. Scope for flexibility on toppings obviously.

Pizza dough - makes two pizzas

135ml tepid water
half a sachet, fast acting yeast (3.5g)
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon of honey
115g white flour
75g spelt flour
1/2 tsp salt

Pour water into a jug, and add the yeast, olive oil and honey. Whisk together.

Mix the flours and salt in a bowl, add the yeast mixture. Form a dough and knead for ten minutes until smooth and elastic. Remove from the bowl, wash and dry bowl, and return the dough to the bowl. Brush with olive oil and cover with clingfilm.

Leave to rise for an hour.

Lightly oil and flour two baking trays.

Knock back the dough, roll out thinly and and place in the trays.

Preheat oven at 250°C

Cover thinly with passata, and add:

goats cheese
baby tomatoes, halved
salami
olives
shallots in olive oil
some rocket.

Cook in oven for 8 minutes

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:49 by mumofstig »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: Bread thread (NOT SOURDOUGH)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 10:32 »
Well the starter is fermenting away in the kitchen now so fingers crossed! I decided to hunt out my bread making bits and can I find my scraper anywhere? Grrr! I really really hate our kitchen as it's so poky I have to store things in silly places and so I lose stuff :(  I really can't wait until we can move somewhere with a decent kitchen

Looks as if I will be improvising for a scraper tomorrow.... Sterilised credit card anyone? Haha

chrissie B

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 22:32 »
and other bread flours are available ha ha
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 09:02 »
WOW!  I have been trying for ages to find a decent home- made bread that is rustic and Spanish.  I will definitely have to give this a try:)  Thanks:)
Now what shall I do today?

Scribbler

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 12:32 »
You really will need a scraper as it's a very wet dough. In fact, when it's had its final rise before baking, the loaf has a definite wobble to it!

Made some yesterday as we had people round for a meal in the evening. It went down very well, and it was very satisfying to share it with people.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 17:28 »
Ok, so we have just eaten our first slice of the bread and it does taste good, so will be doing it again but it wasn't perfect....

The dough was VERY wet - wetter than any dough I have done before and although it became very stretchy it never really dried out at all and became not sticky - was this normal? I ask because our loaf was very flat - on it's final prove it spread out rather than up and I wonder if I the dough was too wet and heavy? It is a lovely light bread still though.

Getting a hard crust: ours went very brown and sounded hollow so I took it out - the bread is cooked perfectly all the way through but the crust is quite soft - should I have left it in longer as our oven only goes up to 230 rather than 240....

Still a very good recipe though!

Scribbler

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 17:37 »
Yes my crust is soft. I manage the dough by folding it over repeatedly on a greased surface with the scraper, and maybe sprinkling a little flour on it so I can handle it. So not really conventional kneading as such.

It is difficult to handle, so don't worry. And I wasn't joking about the wobble.

When mine comes out of the oven it's 3 or 4 inches tall.

Next time try 100g of spelt instead of 100g of wholemeal flour perhaps?

Hope this helps.

Oh and it makes great toast!

Scribbler

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 17:41 »
And although it is "(NOT SOURDOUGH)" (no need to shout please) it does have a sourdough twang.

xx
Sourdough starter & sourdough bread

Started by Scribbler on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

319 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 10:08
by RJR_38
xx
Bought bread tears, my bread crumbles, why?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 19:53
by Scribbler
xx
Sourdough

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 22:39
by Poolfield2
xx
Sourdough starter

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post December 21, 2011, 11:00
by Lardman

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 37 queries.