tomatoes are too heavy

• 2 Replies

UrbanGrower

tomatoes are too heavy
« on: July 28, 2014, 11:39 »
Hi

I am growing tomatoes, I think the bushy pearl variety though not 100% sure.

I went away for a week and left watering instructions but it seems that they have exploded everywhere and now the fruits are way too heavy for the stem.

As they are a busy kind they are not very high, they are all in cut off grow bags with one bamboo stake. When I tried to  tie the dragging branches to the stake, it just tore off a branch. I'm not sure what to do as they are bending so badly that the main stem looks like it will snap if left alone. Any words of wisdom please as otherwise it looks like i could be in for a bumper crop.

Many thanks
UrbanGrower
image_1.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
image.jpeg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: tomatoes are too heavy
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 11:48 »
First pick off all the ones that are ripe, also any that are orange - these will continue to ripen off the plant. This will lighten the load quite a bit.

Add extra canes and string around for support - it's all you can do  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: tomatoes are too heavy
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:40 »
You can bet that the original native tomato plants from South America were a lot less prolific and therefore less likely to kill their offspring!  :ohmy:

The ones which broke off may ripen indoors - they are a reasonable size although they don't seem to have a tinge of yellow which would make them a more certain bet.

Additional canes and stringing are your only option as Mum says - time to get creative with horizontal canes connecting the existing canes together if possible, which will give you useful attachment points for more strings - I've managed to save stems which had almost sheared off completely by giving them support.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Tomatoes too heavy!

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 22:40
by Trillium
xx
Incredible Tomatoes, Heavy on pictures!

Started by Big Jen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 10:46
by Sadgit
xx
The 'my heavy soil is too heavy', thread.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 02:29
by vegmandan
xx
We're getting there! (pic heavy!)

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 20:56
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 29 queries.