coconut ice cream recipe

• 16 Replies

Steveharford

coconut ice cream recipe
« on: July 22, 2014, 20:50 »
My wife is disappointed with her recipe for our favourite ice cream. We can no longer get our lovely carte dor version so she tried making some. It wasnt very soft and not very sweet so apart from trying again with loads more sugar, does anyine have a tried and tested recipe we could use please ?

compostqueen

Re: coconut ice cream recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 22:25 »
I love the stuff!  I used to get some from Tesco, Everest brand I think it was.  If you find a recipe I'll be interested  :D :tongue2:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 23:39 »
Adding alchohol makes it stay softer - perhaps experiment adding some coconut liquer.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 00:29 »
Do you use an ice-cream machine?

Does the carte dor one have desiccated coconut in it?

I have a coconut sorbet recipe that is delicious but it does need a machine.

You could try this one. 300ml milk, 300ml double cream, 75g caster sugar, 3 egg yolks, 175g creamed coconut.
Warm the coconut cream in the milk until it dissolves and sieve.
Then make the custard as usual, add 2 tablespoons Malibu  and churn the custard until it sets.

Or mix 6 tablespoons of coconut powder to the milk in a basic vanilla ice-cream recipe and add some Malibu before you churn the ice-cream.

I have found another recipe that might work 300ml milk, 60g creamed coconut, 100g icing sugar, 4 large eggs yolks, 300ml double cream. Make as the first recipe.

All these recipes would need a machine to churn or beat the mixture every half an hour or so.

I am sure I made a coconut soufflé ice cream to top a lime ice-cream pie last year for the sons birthday which didn't need an ice cream machine but I made it up and I don't think I wrote it down.

If I find it I will post it.

Steveharford

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:26 »
Good point about the alcohol. I guess the Malibu in your recipe does that job mrs bee?  Thankyou for those recipes. Duly forwarded to the boss. Yes she does use a machine. Well, sort of; it's one you keep in the freezer, then the paddle churns it when prepared and you then put it back in the freezer to finish.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:46 »
I love Malibu  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00 »
Good point about the alcohol. I guess the Malibu in your recipe does that job mrs bee?  Thankyou for those recipes. Duly forwarded to the boss. Yes she does use a machine. Well, sort of; it's one you keep in the freezer, then the paddle churns it when prepared and you then put it back in the freezer to finish.

The ones you put in the freezer will work fine.

I will have to put my mind to the coconut ice cream recipe next week in preparation for my sons 30th birthday as I am doing another key lime ice cream pie and need the coconut topping. When I have reworked it out and 'written it down', this time, I will post it for you.

If you make a lot of ice cream you might want to save your pennies and get one with a built in freezer. They are worth their weight in gold. I bought my first one when my son was five and I used it regularly for 25 years before it gave up the ghost and I had to buy another.

All his friends loved going to my freezer to choose their favourite ice creams when they were kids.
Actually they still do and the first thing they will say when they all descend on me in a couple of weeks after the hugs and lovely to see yous, will be what ice creams have you made us. :lol: :lol:

The best bit about them being grown up is that now they share their booze with me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love Malibu too MOS. Especially with pineapple. :D

Steveharford

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 06:57 »
Thanks mrs Bee.might look out for one in a sale at end of summer. Mmm malibu and pineapple. Reminds me of my favourite cocktail- pina colada. Very fattening of course but thats why it is so nice.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 08:20 »
Mrs Bee, do you have any dairy free recipes you could share? Was just thinking I ought to get out the Lidl machine I bought last year?  Also possibly egg free too? I was thinking of using coconut milk. We also use soya so could that substitute cows milk in an icecream?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 22:57 »
Sure can. ;)
275g sugar
four 450ml cans coconut milk
Sugar and 1 pint water in a pan .
Heat to dissolve sugar then bring to boil to make a syrup.
Leave to cool  and mix with the coconut milk and then churn until frozen.

you can add a couple of table spoons of Malibu.

And to ring the changes add some chopped tinned pineapple. The one in a sugar syrup.

As to other dairy free recipes, I can point you in the direction of a very good book that has 11 recipes for interesting sorbets that are dairy free and loads of other recipes that you could experiment with substituting soya milk for the milk.  There is a chapter on making iced milks which may be useful for substituting either coconut or milk substitute.

The book is  Cool seductions by Rosemary Moon. It is the book I return to again and again as well as the lovely Gary Rhodes. Hope this helps.  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 22:14 »
Thank you Mrs Bee, might have a go at the weekend.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 22:19 »
What's coconut milk like calorie wise?   I'd like to try making ice cream again, but its fattening!  Would alpro almond milk work? 

I'd love an ice cream maker, but don't think I can justify the cost at the moment!  :(

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 22:24 »
i made some with coconut milk very tasty.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Mrs Bee

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 23:30 »
What's coconut milk like calorie wise?   I'd like to try making ice cream again, but its fattening!  Would alpro almond milk work? 

I'd love an ice cream maker, but don't think I can justify the cost at the moment!  :(

Coconut milk although tasting glorious is very high in calories. :(
Although you can use low fat coconut milk.

I don't know about the almond milk and icecream as it is something I have never used.

I am devising a cherry and kirsch ice cream to go with a chocolate and cherry brownie with kirsch, but I don't think I will be using low calorie ingredients. ::)
You are very good Grannie. I am afraid I can always justify the cost for kitchen gadgets. And OH eggs me on to get them too. :nowink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 23:34 »
Your OH does WHAT????    :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

When the postman calls here, mine just says "Oh what have you bought now?"   :lol: :lol:

xx
Surplus of coconut cream

Started by Beetroot Queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2015, 19:26
by chrissie B
xx
Rhubarb and custard ice cream recipe

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post May 10, 2014, 13:43
by chrissie B
xx
What can I do with frozen cream? Butter? Ice Cream?

Started by Swing Swang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post February 17, 2016, 11:19
by tosca100
xx
Single cream in ice cream

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 18:42
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 31 queries.