Fish Blood and Bone

• 8 Replies

brucesgirl

Fish Blood and Bone
« on: January 11, 2008, 19:05 »
Bought a big box of this after watching Geoff Hamilton using it on Kitchen Garden, and looked it up on tinternet. It says it is a good plant food for fast growing plants, so I guess peas, beans etc.

My question is - do you just scatter it over the ground or does it have to be dug in?

I will probably dig it in when doing a quick spring turn over, but once the plants are established does a sprinkling around them do any good?

WG.

Fish Blood and Bone
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 19:14 »
It is good stuff - fish and blood available quickly.  Bonemeal more slowly.

IMHO it is a waste of time applying before early to mid-summer.  Rake into the surface when things are growing well.  Peas and beans fix their own nitrogen so keep it for onions, cauliflower.  Good tonic for stuff needing a boost.

brucesgirl

Fish Blood and Bone
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 20:38 »
Thanks WG - that will work in well. Hoe the weeds, rake them out and put the FBB in at the same time.

I love having a plan

Wish they would explain things that simply on other websites!
 :D

Rob the rake

Fish Blood and Bone
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 21:27 »
Quote from: "WG."
It is good stuff - fish and blood available quickly.  Bonemeal more slowly.

IMHO it is a waste of time applying before early to mid-summer.  Rake into the surface when things are growing well.  Peas and beans fix their own nitrogen so keep it for onions, cauliflower.  Good tonic for stuff needing a boost.

The usual advice is to apply FB&B up to 4 weeks before sowing. As I understood, it's to allow the soil microbes time to break down the bonemeal before you sow and plant. Have I been doing it wrong all these years, WG?
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

WG.

Fish Blood and Bone
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 21:46 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"
Have I been doing it wrong all these years, WG?
Probably not although I'd be concerned that the readily available stuff would be lost before the plants got it.  In fact, newly sown stuff doesn't need feeding at all so I can't see the logic here.

brucesgirl

Fish Blood and Bone
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 22:08 »
It didn't make it clear on the Geoff Hamilton program how he used it. He would harvest a plant, put FBB on the ground and then plant another plant.

Trouble is, with the editing, was he doing all this on the same day? And it was an old program, from the '70's from the look of his clothes and it didn't really go into a lot of detail.

One site I read said it can be used instead of manure.

Trillium

Fish Blood and Bone
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 02:25 »
I know bone meal alone can take up to 6 months to release its nutrients, not sure about blood meal. Fish meal is faster, less than a few weeks.

I think Geoff's point was to simply keep on top of replenishing beneficial nutrients to take care of the varying times each individual ingredient in BFB breaks down.  And by adding it whenever you put in another crop is simply an easy way to remember. There's no rocket science involved in the why's and whens, only to simply add it on a regular basis.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Fish Blood and Bone
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 07:37 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"

One site I read said it can be used instead of manure.

Only as far as nutrients though. It won't add any humus to assist with the composition of the soil.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pepper

• Experienced Member
Fish Blood and Bone
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 09:29 »
Just looked it up in GH Ornamental Kitchen Book and he says " fork over the soil and scatter a handful of blood, fish and bone fertilizer over the top. After forking over, level the ground.......scratch the seed drills in the soil with a stick"
I watched the tv series as well and got the impression that after removing one crop he scattered bf&b before sowing / planting another. I have done this ever since!!!!!!!
monica

xx
Blood, Fish and Bone....

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 11:26
by Ruby Red
xx
blood fish and bone???

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 15:40
by gavinjconway
xx
blood fish and bone??

Started by fisher on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 19:02
by viettaclark
xx
blood fish and bone

Started by david dill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 26, 2008, 19:42
by DANNY

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 28 queries.