Bean trenches

• 7 Replies

Annie

Bean trenches
« on: January 11, 2008, 13:58 »
i haven`t used one before,can I use not quite ready garden compost?I cann`t bury fresh waste as my leeks are still growing there.Also is this a suitable way to grow all kinds of beans and what about peas?

WG.

Bean trenches
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 14:38 »
I've only ever done it for broad beans Annie but can't see why any legume wouldn't be thrilled with the extra food and moisture retaining.

Create the trench as you go.  That way you only need a few square feet to get started.

Annie

Bean trenches
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 23:27 »
What do you do WG?I will sew my firstfirst broard beans before the leeks are out so was thinking climbing french beans and climbing peas.

WG.

Bean trenches
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 23:33 »
I've never found myself in that situation TBH since I've got enough space to separate.  Also I wouldn't be planting beans as early as you.

Your french beans & peas will love it too.

Annie

Bean trenches
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 23:49 »
I`m not planting anything other than onion seeds at the moment,I just woke up thinking about bean trenches and thought I`d ask to get the thought out of my head,also so I know which compost heaps to turn or leave to stick in a trench.I did look in WYSIWYG first and search `cos I`msure this has come up before.

WG.

Bean trenches
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 23:53 »
Quote from: "Annie"
I`m not planting anything other than onion seeds at the moment,I just woke up thinking about bean trenches and thought I`d ask to get the thought out of my head,also so I know which compost heaps to turn or leave to stick in a trench.I did look in WYSIWYG first and search `cos I`msure this has come up before.
You can ask questions in WYSIWYGGY too and that will accelerate the gathering of info under it.  But note that off-topic posts will get deleted off after a while.

gobs

Bean trenches
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 08:50 »
A guy on our lottie regularly does this with his bean trench and grows very good runner and climbing beans. He in fact, changes the soil for them every year, if you like, feels his (2x2 feet?) trench with compost.

I imagine, as WG says, all the others would like it too, it just not commonly done as peas are a much shorter crop. On the other hand I sowed them in a manure compost mix last year, which worked a treat and got a lot less weevil damage on them.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Bean trenches
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 11:12 »
We have used trenches filled with compost for Runner Beans , you can also add card, paper and sheeps wool .Cover the trench with a 6" layer of soil at least .Make sure the top of the trench is mounded as this will sink as the compost rots down and you could end up with a ditch down the middle of your cane tunnels. Last year with all the rain ,we had a lot of water lying around in this ditch ,we think that this caused rotting of some of the beans.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

xx
Bean Trenches

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 15:38
by Yorkie
xx
Bean trenches

Started by Sunday Gardener on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 12:08
by DD.
xx
Bean Trenches, Why??

Started by robbie75 on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 19:00
by Starling
xx
bean trenches

Started by ruralbob on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 12, 2013, 10:01
by richy

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 28 queries.