Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!

• 16 Replies

poultrygeist

Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« on: January 11, 2008, 13:25 »
Hi,

Picking up chooks this weekend and, having spent the last 3 weeks making their abode nice and cozy, I've discovered some nice puddles inside the coop.
The sides are shiplap but, in my wisdom, I made the roof from V notch T+G. I've put on 3 coats of Wickes waxy shed and fence treatment.
It seems that the water is collecting in the grooves and filtering through the joints, as well as through a few knot holes.
Any suggestions as to what to re-paint the roof with (or can you arrange for the rain to stop) ?
I wondered about a quick drying cuprinol type door varnish but I don't know if this will cure it.
Much obliged for any advice.
Rob :?

wildeone

Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 13:27 »
Would you be better to felt or tarmac thingy the roof?

poultrygeist

Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 13:30 »
I've read all sorts of nasty stories about felt and red spider mites.

And I don't think we can run to any corrugated roofing at the mo. I know tomorrow is supposed to be dry and pleasant so I hoped to slap a couple of coats something properly waterproof on it. And preferably quick drying.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 13:35 »
Hi Rob and Julie, I know people say now don't felt the roofs because of the mites, but Brian said why not go to Wickes and buy the black bitumen and paint the roof with that?  No rain will penetrate that stuff!!!

wildeone

Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 13:40 »
Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge (that would mean anyone) will be along soon!

wildeone

Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 13:41 »
granny turned up before I noticed!!!!

poultrygeist

Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 13:42 »
That would certainly do the trick and I don't want to seem awkward, but I was hoping to keep it looking a bit more pleasing to the eye.

I could paint the bitumen on the inside and build up the layers on the outside I suppose.

It's my own fault for not using shiplap on the roof. It's because the water can't drain away from the grooves. Silly me !!

I spent 3 evenings on the kitchen floor to make that roof bomb proof but never imagined that it would let rain through. Bless this climate.

GrannieAnnie

Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 13:52 »
Not on the inside Rob!  The chooks may peck at it and that wouldn't be good!  pleasng to the eye is lovely, but you want nice safe dry conditions for the chooks

When Brian extended our large henhouse, it already had felt on the roof, so what he did was bitumen the new roof ALL OVER, then felted on top of the still wet bitumen, so hopefully leaving nowhere for the red mite to gather.

You could use one of the varnishes, but make sure it's waterproof, and that you put plenty in the grooves!   :)

poultrygeist

Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 14:05 »
Thanks both of you.

I'll go down the varnish route first with a tarpaulin at the ready just in case.

Failing that, it'll have to be bitumen/felt.

It's a shame because it's all looking like the real deal but you never know if you've done enough until it gets some exposure to the elements.

As you say, it's worth teh effort to make sure they don't get dripped on !

We might get soggy eggs.

Thanks again, and it'll be alright on the night.

GrannieAnnie

Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 14:19 »
:lol:  :lol:   It'll be alright, you'll see!!!!!

You'll love them!  Them jump over the barrier fencing we've put up now when they see me.  I feel like the pied piper when I'm walking up the run!!!!!

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 15:45 »
ive used roofing felt on the sides and roof of the duck house and it is totally water tight. dont know about the critters mentioned above and ive seen no eveidence of any.

as an alternative, why not consider a pvc builders screen from b and q/hardware shops

theyre very cheap and they are big enough to be folded over so you have several layers to waterproof it. i made the pond out of one folded over twice    to give me 4 layers thickness and its bullet proof lol  :D

Foxy

Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 17:33 »
dont know much about DIY (very handy OH for that!!! :lol:  :lol: ) but I am sure he has pushed silicone into some of the joins/knots in the wood where ours leaked -also T&G on an arc

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 17:41 »
Quote from: "daveinmanc"

as an alternative, why not consider a pvc builders screen from b and q/hardware shops

theyre very cheap and they are big enough to be folded over so you have several layers to waterproof it. i made the pond out of one folded over twice    to give me 4 layers thickness and its bullet proof lol  :D

Dave would this be big enough for my pond? about 30 x 25 ft only the pond liner I paid a lot of money for has torn, heavy ducks have claws and I thought  it would be ok but they have ripped it :cry:

poultrygeist

Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 17:54 »
Quote from: "daveinmanc"
ive used roofing felt on the sides and roof of the duck house and it is totally water tight. dont know about the critters mentioned above and ive seen no eveidence of any.

I'm using the very same as a temporary cover for the porch roof at the mo til it's warm/dry enough to felt it !!

I've gone with Brian and Annie's suggestion of bitumen now.
Coated one side so far and tried a test piece under the kitchen tap.
It runs off it like water off the proverbial duck's back !!! :D

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
Leaky roof !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 21:23 »
slowef i dont think so :(

it was 5 mtrs by 4 mtrs i think, (they do go much bigger)  you need to shop about for heavy pvc or plastic sheeting or builders screens. if you could get them cheap enough get a couple so you double the thickness at least if they have sharp nails.

you'd also need to make sure the ground is covered with old carpet or fabric tiles, underlay, sand anything like that to prevent sharp objects poking thru once the weight of the water is on it.

poutrygeist im glad to hear your roof is now none leaky lol

:D

sounds like a job well done ! congrats

xx
Run roof.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 22:35
by Sparkle
xx
do we need a roof?

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 10:17
by Sassy
xx
Run roof

Started by chelle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 11, 2007, 19:50
by Aunt Sally
xx
Roof suggestions

Started by loretta cluck on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 14:11
by loretta cluck

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 28 queries.