How much tomato fertiliser to use

• 7 Replies

Eblana

How much tomato fertiliser to use
« on: June 29, 2014, 19:23 »
Can anyone please tell me how many tomato plants a watering can full of Tomato Fertiliser (made up to the strength recommended on the back of the bottle) should do.  The bottle says water onto roots until 'completely saturated' so I have no idea whether I am giving them enough.  Also should I water before feeding?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: How much tomato fertiliser to use
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 19:34 »
If you water before feeding, it's likely the feed will run though as the compost is already wet and it won't be taken up.

As to the other bit of the question, it's down to your judgement. You can't quantify it, there's numerous variables, size of pot/growbag/whatever, how dry the compost is to start with etc..
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Totty

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 21:20 »
My toms at home are in plastic patio type pots in the greenhouse. I like to feed just as the surface is drying up a bit, and give enough feed to get a small amount of run off. That way you know all the roots are fed from top to bottom. I use about 10ltrs of feed per 3 plants.

Totty

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 08:21 »
I water every day and replace two waterings each week with half strength feed. Beware of overfeeding, more plants are harmed by overfeeding than almost anything else, magnesium deficiency can be caused by too much potassium.

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 13:16 »
Thanks a million folks, I think I am under feeding (kinda guessed as I wasn't seeing much results from the feeding).  I have been using 10 Ltrs of slightly understrength feed on 10 plants in the boarder and the soil is usually wet when I have been feeding.  I have only been feeding every 10 days or so.  I will let the soil dry out a bit and I will go onto a two weak feeds a week regime and see how that works.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 14:42 »
Best way to tell if the water has got down to the roots is to stick your finger down into the compost. It's amazing how, when you think you have watered plants enough, how little water has actually reached the bottom where the roots are.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 23:07 »
Would I still need to feed my toms if the are bordering a very rich in manure (old, good stuff) bed that has my beans and sweet corn? The odd plant seems to have roll leaf ... But is still fruiting nicely.
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 23:16 »
I try not to water my tomatoes too much.  I find if I do that the taste becomes bland and watery, presumably as the water finds its way to the tomatoes themselves.

xx
Which Tomato food / fertiliser?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 15:27
by Plottered
xx
Advice on tomato/pepper fertiliser?

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 11:58
by Goosegirl
xx
My choice of Fertiliser is 6X Natural Fertiliser . Would like Opinions please

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 18:57
by Totty
xx
Fertiliser

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2007, 22:18
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 27 queries.