Runty runner beans

• 3 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
Runty runner beans
« on: June 23, 2014, 19:33 »
Evening vegonauts. I grew my own runner bean seedlings and they were a bit leggy when I planted them out at the end of May. (I'd had to support them in their pots with mini canes before the time was right to plant out.) They are still very spindly with very sparse leaves. They were planted in a bed with some bought-in farmyard manure (rotted in bags from garden centre). I also planted an extra bean at the other side of each pole, none of which has germinated. Should I plant more beans now or will my original plants get going at some point? ???

beesrus

Re: Runty runner beans
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 19:49 »
Drawn leggy plants always take an age to perform, and sometimes just don't. But they still might with the right conditions.
You could try nipping the tops of a few and see if that improves matters. That will certainly be a quicker option than sowing afresh that will only catch the end of the season. Do both, and also leave a few as they are, and note what happens for future reference. We all learn from direct experience.
Are they planted in a favourable full sun location, as I would have thought they would have picked up by now having been planted out 4 weeks ago. Let alone the fabulous growing weather of the last 3 weeks ?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 19:55 by beesrus »

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 20:02 »
Give them a really good soaking for a couple of nights.   ;)

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:31 »
thanks both for your replies - yes, they're in a sunny spot and I'm also surprised that they haven't started to flourish. Gave them a really good watering yesterday but will do so again tonight and pinch a few of the tops out, too, as well as plant a few seeds as back-up. Don't think I'll be able to get any plants anywhere now.

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans / kiddney beans

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac

Page created in 0.994 seconds with 36 queries.