I think I've bought some duff compost

• 7 Replies

cathy81walking

• Aspirations to Heligan's perfection in my dreams..
I think I've bought some duff compost
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:40 »
I bought some general purpose compost from a major garden centre chain to grow my seeds on in.

I have had no end of trouble.  No roots developing on seeds that did germinate, seeds rotting away and I now have three of the sickest tomato plants I have ever seen.  Stunted tips, flower buds drying out and dropping off before they get a chance to do anything..  The compost didn't affect flower seeds at all, but the veg have been a nightmare - I'm going to have to buy plants in.

Do you think that the compost could have Aminopyralid in it?  What should I do?  I have one bag left - is it worth complaining to the garden centre? :mad:
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done ;)

Goosegirl

Re: I think I've bought some duff compost
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 12:11 »
Personally, I would let the garden centre know in case they have had other complaints, plus complain to the firm via their email contact on the website. Is it happening with all types of veg seeds or just certain ones? I can't just remember the veg that are affected by AP but others on here will know. Don't use the remaining bag but buy a different make and sow the same seeds again just to compare results in case there is some sort of contamination, and take some pics as well. If there is a problem with the previous compost, they will be useful.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

cathy81walking

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 12:56 »
Good advice - thanks.

It seems that my tomatos and cucurbits have been affected more than anything else.  Flower seeds romped away.

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 13:04 »
yes I would mention it to the shop it may be contaminated , the branch of b and m near me last year had a problem with theirs don't remember what but loads of people complained , I don't know if all shops were having problems , hubby works at homebase and gets me Jamie oliver grow bags and all sorts and so far they have been great . hope you have better luck with new plants
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 18:35 »
Good advice - thanks.

It seems that my tomatos and cucurbits have been affected more than anything else.  Flower seeds romped away.

Try sowing some bean seeds in it.  If they come up and then become twisted once a decent size, then it looks like aminopyralid contamination.  If they don't, then at least you've eliminated that as a possible cause.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 20:59 »
I bought some general purpose compost from a major garden centre chain to grow my seeds on in.

I have had no end of trouble.  No roots developing on seeds that did germinate.....

Why dont you mention the garden centre and compost type/name etc. so we can see if we have the same stuff and same problem or not... It may be you have a problem and not the compost..

I dont see the point of keeping the name away from us..  ::)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 21:00 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

cathy81walking

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 15:02 »
Oh I just don't like to make trouble   ;)  (and I was posting from work and couldn't remember the name of the compost!).

The garden centre is Haskins in Angmering and the compost was a J Arthur Bowers multi purpose - there was a 3 bags for £12 offer.  It wasn't a peat free one, just a standard type.

Actually, my beans were ok in it, so maybe it isn't aminopyralid - it is just the tomatoes and courgette types.  All fresh seed and no different routine to the seeds that were successful.  Just odd.

pipfit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 20:36 »
I had exactly the same problem with same product.but in 100 litre bags.Contacted the manufacturers  sent sample of compost and some plants.Reply was that it was short of nutrients.Probably caused by fault in mixing.I am not in full agreement with their cause
Barry

xx
Can shop bought compost go off?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 07:57
by fatcat1955
xx
which compost have you bought 2012

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

211 Replies
Last post October 06, 2012, 20:13
by sonnycbr
question
shop-bought compost

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 01:28
by Paul Plots
xx
Modifying shop bought compost

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 14:46
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.683 seconds with 28 queries.