Pear Tree Advice

• 3 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Pear Tree Advice
« on: May 30, 2014, 19:39 »
Hi there,

I planted a pear tree over a year ago which I think is a concorde and is perhaps semi drawf.  Unlike the apple and plum trees I bought it only seemed to have quite compact short branches at the very top of the trunk, rather than longish thin branches.  I have kept the base of it fairly weed free and mulched it, but it has stayed fairly compact - lots of leaves but not very long branches.  Please see pictures below.  I have never pruned it because I wasn't sure how to or when to.

I noticed last week that there are some longish green stems that have grown out of the end of the small branches and some going vertical from the top of the tree, but don't know if these are a good thing or not!  I've also noticed there are some fruit on it, with one or two pears larger than the rest.  What if anything can I do to encourage the branches to grow and to get a more normal looking and healthy tree.  Following on from other advice about apple trees in the 1st and 2nd years, I presume I should get rid of the fruit now so energy can be used to develop the tree.

Any help appreciated!
7.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 19:43 by GardenShed »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Pear Tree Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 07:18 »
The green shoots are the new growth. If you are planning to train the tree, you can summer prune these when the stems are a bit woody (July/August). If you want to just tidy it and get rid of branches growing in the wrong direction, I would leave the pruning till winter.

The RHS website has a lot of information on pruning young pear trees.

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 10:35 »
Thanks.  Im wondering if I should just leave it given branches are so short.  Or does pruning encourage growth?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 23:38 »
I'm afraid I don't know. I'm new to this too. I am leaving my 2 pear trees to grow a bit more before I prune them, but none of the new shoots they are chucking out go in the wrong direction for me. So far...

xx
Need Some Advice About A Pear Tree

Started by The Widge on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 15:13
by Trillium
xx
pear tree advice

Started by jackiestagg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2007, 13:56
by ted_woodley
clip
Pruning advice - Pear tree

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2024, 21:34
by Geordie
xx
Ancient pear tree - advice please

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 18:10
by Foghorn-Leghorn

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 27 queries.