A Cautionary Tale

• 4 Replies

bantam novice

A Cautionary Tale
« on: May 21, 2014, 21:56 »
Hello there,

I felt I needed to post a warning.  I can't tell you how horrible it was to find.  I have some Light Sussex bantam chicks about two and a half weeks old.  They are indoors with an electric hen. 

Today was such a lovely warm day and I wanted to clean their enclosure out so I decided to put them out on the  lawn covered by the top of a pet cage with good thick wire less than half an inch apart.  They had a small area for shade and food and water available.

I thought they were safe  WRONG!  A magpie came down and managed to drag the head of one chick through the bars and killed it.  I came upon it as it was trying to drag the body through the cage bars.  It flew away but the poor chick was dead.   :(

One other chick had been pecked around the head so it is in "intensive care" with gentian violet painted on the blooming area.  I think it has lost an eye but otherwise seems to be recovering.  I am worried as the chicks would peck at the blooming bits although I have tried to clean this up as best I can.  I might try putting another chick with it tomorrow to keep it company though I will have to watch carefully for any pecking.

Please be aware, as I should have been, that predators can come from every direction, air as well as ground.
I feel really awfull and I would not like anyone else to experience this.   
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Chrysalis

Re: A Cautionary Tale
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 22:13 »
Oh poor things!  :( 

Hard to know what to do for the best isn't it?  You wanted to give them a good life experience and you weren't to know a nasty magpie would come......
Hope the chick recovers well,
C

Silkychicks

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 07:34 »
That is so horrible... I feel very sorry for the chicks and for you. Hopefully you are not being to hard on your self: you were trying to do a good thing.

I am glad you posted this since I was considering to do the same this weekend if the weather would allow it: they having a good time, me being able to clean their coop.

If, it is going to be a double fence so the chicks can't reach the outer fence.

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 11:51 »
Sorry to hear your news. I hate magpies. They are remorseless once they've set their eyes on something. I hope the wounded chick survives and goes on to thrive.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 15:12 »
Well the chick is back with its companions and seems to be OK though still a little quiet, understandably.  I don't think it will ever see out of one eye again though the other seems to be OK.  It is getting used to looking purple!

xx
Cockerel Crowing - Old wife's tale?

Started by L 11OBS on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 21:46
by matthew2riches
xx
just heard this bit of news - is it true or an old wives tale

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 16:03
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 36 queries.