slugs and runner beans

• 6 Replies

strider84

• Experienced Member
slugs and runner beans
« on: May 19, 2014, 06:58 »
I'm at a loss on how the slugs have gotten through the barriers I have put in place I might have to accept defeat........

18 runner bean plants put in each about a foot high.

Yesterday I noticed a couple of leaves have been munched on despite covering the ground around them in woodash very heavily, beer traps with fresh beer and after the leaves being munched I even surrounded each with and hand full of slug pellets each last night.

This morning there is not a sign of the plants or the slug pellets!? When I put then down last night you could not see any soil around each plant I spread them that densely.

How does this happen was it just a plague of slugs?!

I might go out and buy some plants if someone can give me some advice how I could possibly stop them?

m1ckz

Re: slugs and runner beans
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:15 »
hmmmmm seems like youve done everything possible..if they ate the pellets im sure there not feeling well now lol

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:49 »
Maybe a different pest altogether, if all of the plants have gone.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:07 »
If you spread them that densely that you couldnt see the soil I doubt it would be slugs. Is there no pellets left at all.  ???

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 08:09 »
It is said that applying blue pellets too thickly can be counter-productive because they contain a powerful attractant which makes it more likely that some of the resulting invading hordes are bound to get through. I find it hard to believe that's likely to happen if there's an unbroken ring of pellets around each individual plant, but it might be something to consider in the future.
More likely to happen with the 'organic' pellets than the more traditional metaldehyde version, as they are not a direct poison.

Having said all that, as Mum has posted, for 18 X 1 foot bean plants to completely disappear overnight does suggest something other than slugs or snails being responsible...
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 13:01 »
Yes - applying slug pellets too thickly can actually attract them more than dotting the odd one around. I don't know the theory behind it, but have heard it mentioned before. For all those beans to completely disappear overnight definitely suggests rabbits or deer, rather than slugs, snails or pigeons. What a shame!  :(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

m1ckz

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 16:03 »
maybe your next allotment holder has just planter 18 beans

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
Beans and slugs.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 07:11
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 30 queries.