Harevesting Winter Onions and Garlic

• 11 Replies

AndyArch

Harevesting Winter Onions and Garlic
« on: May 16, 2014, 13:02 »
Advice needed...

For the first time I planted some onion sets and garlic last Autumn, they all seem to be doing really well but wondered when I should be looking to harvest them. I am shortly going to need the space for some tomatoes but don't want to harvest them too early.

Any help or advice gretaly received.

Cheers

Andy

RaptorUK

Re: Harevesting Winter Onions and Garlic
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 13:26 »
Advice needed...

For the first time I planted some onion sets and garlic last Autumn, they all seem to be doing really well but wondered when I should be looking to harvest them. I am shortly going to need the space for some tomatoes but don't want to harvest them too early.

The Onions aren't ready until thy start falling over and going brown,  the Garlic is ready when it starts to go brown on the majority of the plant . . . probably going to be a while yet,  maybe July.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 15:52 »
You can start pulling and using the overwintered onions, in the green, as you need them otherwise they won't be ready/fully bulbed up until June ish.

late June/July for the garlic..........

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 17:58 »
I've started to use my winter onions because some of them are going to seed.  I did this last year and I was just using the last ones by the time the maincrop was ready.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 17:59 by Annen »
Anne

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 20:44 »
Hi I have lots of garlic growing in the polytunnel and ive had to plant my toms between them as I have no more room and you can pick garlic green it is very sweet they will be properly ready in july if I can keep my hands off them  :lol:  ;) Darren
diggity dig dig

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 20:46 »
Found some of my overwintered garlic are about to produce flowers today. I've pulled a couple up - I read on here they are nice roasted at this stage. I've pulled all the pods of the others, will they be okay to leave or should I pull them up now this has happened?
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 20:56 »
It's just the flower stems/pods - the scapes that are usually cut off and eaten, as the bulb will carry on growing  ;)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 21:11 »
Found some of my overwintered garlic are about to produce flowers today. I've pulled a couple up - I read on here they are nice roasted at this stage. I've pulled all the pods of the others, will they be okay to leave or should I pull them up now this has happened?

The Hardneck varieties produce these "scapes" - you dont have to pull the bulb up... but it is is good as green garlic..

As Mun says - break the scapes off and eat them. I do them with white sauce, or cut up and fried or roasted..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 21:25 »
If you have enough space between your onions/garlic and can fit a plant pot between them (approx 6-8" with the bottom cut out) you could pot up your toms in that without having to pull too many plants. You could then leave the onions to bulk up (to harvest later and chop/freeze) or eat them now as green/salad onions. :-)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 22:26 »
Advice needed...

Any help or advice gretaly received.

Cheers

Andy

Andy your garlic is not going to be ready for a while.. July/August.. If you try to plant the toms in-between you will take nutrients from the garlic.

Your over wintered onions are ready to eat as green onions - they are not for storing as they dont store well... I use them from 1 May each year as green onions and as a filler till the maincrop is ready to start nibbling on.  So for this reason you could start to plant your toms in the onions yes..

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 16:21 by gavinjconway »

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 10:23 »
I have recently pulled a few of my over wintering onions up and eaten them as green onions they tasted yummy.  Plus I have discovered that some of the plants have White Rot, so I am glad I didn't persevere with tjem  :blush:

Steveharford

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 15:57 »
Last year I harvested my over wintered ones on 20th July and stored them for use up untill I used the last one on 18th January. The handful that were left were getting soft by then. So that's six months of storage which is a reasonable length of time I reckon.

clip
Over winter Onions & Garlic

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2018, 09:08
by victoria park
xx
Winter Onions & Garlic

Started by KJW on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 13:30
by KJW
xx
Winter Onions/Garlic

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 13:12
by Sadgit
xx
Winter onions and garlic...

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 08:51
by RookieJim

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 38 queries.