Outdoor Cucumbers

• 22 Replies

jabailey

Re: Outdoor Cucumbers
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 12:54 »
La Diva (2 plants) last summer. Kept ourselves, family and friends going all summer.
Gardens 2013 008.jpg

safetrade

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 17:05 »
ive grown gherkins outside if that counts and they grew fine for me.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 19:11 »
I sowed some marketmore a few weeks ago and kept them on the kitchen window ledge. They were up very quickly and the seedlings looked very sturdy with nice healthy seed leaves. The first true leaves began to show shortly afterwards, upon which the seed leaves began to curl up at the edges. The curls soon got withered on the edges. Then they drooped. Then they fell off. The very small seed leaves still loooked ok, and the stems still stood up and looked healthy. Then they died. Resigned to failure, II sowed a couple more in the unheated gh. Today, one has poked its head out to have a look around. I reckon it has two chances, SLIM, and NONE.

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 19:49 »
Thanks for all your replies. I have 4 plants in the greenhouse at present. I was just worried that the climate up North would not suit them. But I will give them ago anyway (nothing ventured).
BB

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 20:17 »
Tracybutton:

There would be three or four in the pot and I always have a trellis or cone stuck in to help with raising them.

They do very well here though I have to watch that they don't get too dry. I fertilize pretty regularly but its worth it with the production received.

This thread inspired me to get at it and I just seeded a pot with Bush Champion today.

Thanks  :)  I just noticed you are in Idaho, not sure if it is, but it sounds as though  it will be a lot warmer where you are than in the North of England. Maybe I wouldn't get a tub of cucumbers quite like yours  :(  :D

mrsbean

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 22:00 »
i did marketmore last year just let them trail in raisedbed. still need to get this years out, had to repot earlier and put in cane as growing straight up with flowers&babies, would love to post pic but not got the hang of it yet. i am on beach pracitcally one side of menai straits so gets allweathers and salt.

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 05:47 »
Tracybutton:

We certainly are colder here at this time than the Cumbria area I lived in whilst in the U.K..

Tonight we have a frost warning with an overnight expected temp. of -3. It makes for delays in getting things out but as the summer goes on our weather does warm considerably with wonderful extended periods of real warmth.

I grew cucumbers in pots in Cumbria with some success though I really think the trick is the planting in pots. It makes for an ease of tending and tying up tendrils that seems to keep the plants happy. I would certainly try them. Definitely worth the adventure.

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 23:01 »
Tracybutton:

We certainly are colder here at this time than the Cumbria area I lived in whilst in the U.K..

Tonight we have a frost warning with an overnight expected temp. of -3. It makes for delays in getting things out but as the summer goes on our weather does warm considerably with wonderful extended periods of real warmth.

I grew cucumbers in pots in Cumbria with some success though I really think the trick is the planting in pots. It makes for an ease of tending and tying up tendrils that seems to keep the plants happy. I would certainly try them. Definitely worth the adventure.

Well I've just planted six plants I grew from seed straight into the ground under a cloche, but I think you have spurred me on to do a bit of an experiment . Think I'll buy a couple of plants at the weekend and give them a go in a pot and frame like your picture and see which does the best .
If they both do well I'll be over run with cucumbers  :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:33 by Tracybutton »

xx
outdoor cucumbers

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2014, 07:28
by snow white
xx
Outdoor Cucumbers

Started by Jsy Lou on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 18:39
by Yabba
xx
outdoor cucumbers

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 02:27
by Paul Plots
xx
Outdoor cucumbers

Started by Ann on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 22:45
by Ann

Page created in 1.143 seconds with 28 queries.