Weather hold ups?

• 20 Replies

Christine

Weather hold ups?
« on: May 11, 2014, 08:25 »
It's on the chilly side and things seem backwards up here. Not enough sunlight to bring things on.

Does anyone else feel that late spring is holding up growing? Not for the soft stuff like courgettes but the harder stuff that should be well on its way?

Spr0ut

Re: Weather hold ups?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:30 »
I am finding that potted stuff that is usually climbing out of its pots and lush and green by now are largely yellowing and even keeling over in this cold low light season we are having right now.

If this becomes a trend, I wll be starting things off a lot later than I have been able to in past years.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:04 »
Due to my allotment being right on the Moor, I didn't start sowing anything until the last week of April. So far all looks good but nothing much can be planted out yet. :(

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:12 »
I'm going to shove the first lot of peas and broad beans (module sown) in today, as there is so little room in the greenhouse, and I keep treading on things...

They'll be alright, with a bit of TLC, but yes, there is a bit of a gear change down in spring so far!

Welsh Merf

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 10:21 »
Last weekend I put up my canes and sowed my beans. For the last few days it's been really windy down here, and I haven't had time to go and check if the canes are still upright, or if they've been blown over. So, with some trepidation I'll be heading over this morning.

For those of you who know the Romney Marshes, especially Lydd and Dungeness areas, you might know about the windy weather that we get.
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 11:26 »
Indeed! and it's blowing a hoolie here as well  :(

Welsh Merf

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 13:16 »
Just been to check - all good and safe on the farm! :)

beesrus

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 13:42 »
My rather too tall broad beans survived the gales with some plumbing pipe hoops threaded through the plant blocks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 15:04 »
Not exactly what we need for planting out the tender stuff, is it ? *sigh*
 :(

Christine

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 15:29 »
Daughter and husband went over the hills to the Lakes yesterday (about an hour and a half west) and said that things over there are about 2 weeks ahead of us here.

And no it's not the weather for bringing on stuff like beans, courgettes, marrows, cucumbers outdoors ....

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 16:34 »
is that the reason my brassica seedlings are yellowish. i was blaming overwatering. i,m in durham and never thought of the weather.

beesrus

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 17:32 »
If I'm honest, I have always thought the year in year out weather has never regularly allowed the planting out of courgettes, beans, squash etc much before the end of May. It never has.
Linked to that subject though, where are the cabbage whites ?  Last year they were flitting around by the end of April. I've seen 2 this year, just 2.Gives me time to get the defences properly sorted.

richie3846

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 20:38 »
Might be worth holding off on the tenders until last week of May this year if today's mid-range forecast from the met office is worth believing:

"UK Outlook for Friday 16 May 2014 to Sunday 25 May 2014:
High pressure across central and southern parts of the UK will bring a good deal of dry and fine weather to many at first, with light winds, particularly in the south. However, the far northwest will be cloudier and breezier with occasional rain or drizzle. Temperatures will be around average in the northwest, but turning warmer elsewhere, and locally very warm across the southeast and in areas east of high ground. However, there is likely to be a transition to more unsettled and cooler conditions from the end of the weekend. There will be a mixture of rain or showers and brighter periods, the showers possibly heavy at times, although the southeast may hold on to the warmer and brighter conditions for a time."

I normally use 15th of May as a guideline for such crops, but I'd rather hold off than see the seedlings destroyed by cold and slugs

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 20:52 »
Linked to that subject though, where are the cabbage whites ?  Last year they were flitting around by the end of April. I've seen 2 this year, just 2.Gives me time to get the defences properly sorted.

I suspect all of yours have migrated up here. I've seen literally hundreds in the last couple of weeks. Please come and retrieve them :tongue2:

Twitch

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 21:32 »
Might be worth holding off on the tenders until last week of May this year if today's mid-range forecast from the met office is worth believing:

"UK Outlook for Friday 16 May 2014 to Sunday 25 May 2014:
High pressure across central and southern parts of the UK will bring a good deal of dry and fine weather to many at first, with light winds, particularly in the south. However, the far northwest will be cloudier and breezier with occasional rain or drizzle. Temperatures will be around average in the northwest, but turning warmer elsewhere, and locally very warm across the southeast and in areas east of high ground. However, there is likely to be a transition to more unsettled and cooler conditions from the end of the weekend. There will be a mixture of rain or showers and brighter periods, the showers possibly heavy at times, although the southeast may hold on to the warmer and brighter conditions for a time."

I concur with the above.
I usually go by this forcast http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/uk/slough/ext and next week sure looks to get cold in the evenings   :ohmy:

This is a great site and people on it by the way  :D

xx
What to use to hold netting down???

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 23:07
by shaun
xx
Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 13:13
by Oliver
xx
Chit's away or hold fire?

Started by Wildeone on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 17:47
by yummy
xx
Composting and clearing up my garden is now on hold

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 16, 2023, 20:26
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 30 queries.