What's up with our Dotty?

• 5 Replies

eneville

What's up with our Dotty?
« on: May 05, 2014, 20:34 »
To begin with we had three chicks from a hatching project. The first died, we thought of Marek's disease, we then got two hens, one Plymouth Rock, and one Reverse Sussex. About a month later the remaining two died within a day of each other.

So we have kept these two as they got along very well.

On 21st of April Dotty seemed to have some issues. I found here after some free ranging quite motionless, wing out to the side a bit and some blue dots on her leg. She couldn't walk very well, I thought she'd broken her leg.

As a couple of days passed I don't think it was just her leg that she's having problems with, when shes stood still for a while her left foot drifts forward a bit as if she doesn't have grip, sometimes the food curls up into a fist.

She seems very broody, but that's normal for her anyway, she goes broody at the drop of a hat. So, at least twice a day I will grapple her out of the nesting box and place her in front of the water.

Today, after getting her out of the nesting box and putting her outside of the coop she just dropped a big poo followed (within a couple of minutes) by an egg. It had a very rough, texture, here's a photo if it helps at all.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: What's up with our Dotty?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 06:40 »
she could have Mareks, Mareks is very contagious and if your other birds had it the chances are she will have caught it - your best bet is to get an autopsy done on her if she continues to go down hill. Do not get any more birds until you are sure it isn't Mareks  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

barley

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 23:05 »
oh dear  :(

unfortunately I can speak from experience of Mareks disease - it will kill and kill again

I lost all mine and replacements all contracted it within 6 weeks of getting them

no amount of disinfecting will get rid of it , your only option is to get fully vaccinated birds in the future

I do hope it is not that but it does sound like it maybe  :(

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:01 »
Unfortunately vaccination is not always the be all and end all and it may still be possible to get Mareks. I do not know if there is a recommended length of time to leave land until it becomes 'clean'. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

hen addict

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 08:29 »
Unfortunately vaccination is not always the be all and end all and it may still be possible to get Mareks. I do not know if there is a recommended length of time to leave land until it becomes 'clean'. :)

It can take up to 8 years for the ground to rid it's self of mareks, although 5 years is the generally recommend safe time.
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

barley

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:26 »

I got vaccinated birds within a month of Mareks wiping out my flock and have had them for 5 years now with no losses to it again , so it seemed to work for me

my lady who I  get my vaccinated chickens from does a full vaccination against Mareks Disease, Infectious Bronchitis, Newcastle Disease,Avian Rhino-tracheitis and Egg Drop Syndrome (EDS), so they are very well protected

http://www.wylyevalleychickens.co.uk/

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 38 queries.