Cauliflower Seedlings Demise

• 14 Replies

BARNACLE BILL

Cauliflower Seedlings Demise
« on: April 29, 2014, 19:45 »
I sowed some seedlings (all year round) in a heated propagator.  They germinated very quickly after a week I took them up to the greenhouse. I noticed that they were not growing well. Whilst the other seedlings i.e broad beans, chilli's were putting on growth. Eventually they give up the ghost the leaves looked scorched and withered. The weather has been quite good this spring so the greenhouse has been quite warm in the day. Do the cauli's need a cooler environment? As the other plants that like warm conditions i.e tomatoes chilli's and cucumbers are doing fine.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 19:59 by mumofstig »

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Re: Cauliflower Seedlings Demise
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 20:39 »
I too struggle with brassica.
There is plenty of advice on minimum temperatures., e.g.  "Minimum 7 deg C for germ".  The best germination temperature  chart says 25 deg is optimal germination  :ohmy:  "Grow on at 13deg C"

But Nothing on maximum temperatures after germination though.

I am wondering if its more bright sunshine that does them in rather than temperature.    But when I put my seedlings in light shade outside.....they stop growing........and die. :)
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

bravemurphy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 20:52 »
They don't like it hot like any other brassica.

My greenhouse got up to 48 c one day last week even with the door open.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 21:13 »
Once my brassicas have germinated I have them outside or in a cold frame as they do not do well in heat, DD taught me that with some sprouts some years ago.  This is the family that can live through the winter such sprouts and winter cabbage.  It's the slimy critters that are attacking mine at the moment so they are being rewarded with something blue ::). Can you re- sow Bill and try again?
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

al78

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 21:31 »
My guess is that it was too hot for them in the greenhouse. Mine have been in a cloche in the back garden since mid March, with the vents open since early April. Even the odd frost with ice on the inside surface of the polythene hasn't bothered them in the slightest. They are very hardy.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 23:16 »
Mine have been outside since I sowed them, and they are the best ones I've ever grown.
Anne

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 07:13 »
We stress on the forums more times than I care to remember that brassicas hate heat. At the most they only want gentle heat. I do my early ones in just a frost free greenhouse. The heat should certianly be reduced as soon as they have germinated. At this time of year they will only see the great outdoors, even at the sowing stage.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:42 »
We stress on the forums more times than I care to remember that brassicas hate heat. At the most they only want gentle heat. I do my early ones in just a frost free greenhouse. The heat should certianly be reduced as soon as they have germinated. At this time of year they will only see the great outdoors, even at the sowing stage.
I've seen this advice this year in particular, and mine were sown in pots and put in my blow-away GH inside my proper GH, which did get quite warm! Despite that, they all germinated and are looking very healthy, so they are now outside during the day to harden off as I have no cold frame. Have I just been lucky or what?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Headgardener22

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 14:00 »
I've seen this advice this year in particular, and mine were sown in pots and put in my blow-away GH inside my proper GH, which did get quite warm! Despite that, they all germinated and are looking very healthy, so they are now outside during the day to harden off as I have no cold frame. Have I just been lucky or what?

My suggestion might be that the double layer greenhouse has reduced the sunlight so they haven't burned.

I don't think you will have needed a cold frame over the last few days as its never been really cold - although frost is forecast for the weekend.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 20:23 »
My suggestion might be that the double layer greenhouse has reduced the sunlight so they haven't burned.

I'm inclined to agree. My local nursery grows them in opaque poly tunnels until the seedlings are 2 or 3 inches high with the industrial gas heaters blasting away. It is positively tropical in there. I'm not sure what the actual temp is, but you don't want to wearing a coat. They then go outside for sale in April in a big open sided shed with a shaded roof. 

I wouldn't argue with DD though.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 20:25 by gremlin »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 20:32 »
I grow my plants in a "small" amount to be strong and sturdy. I don't grow them in a large quantity as fast as I can for a quick turn around to sell to an unsuspecting public!

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 21:18 »

Never had any issues growing Cabbage / Broccoli / Kale in Kenya. I could turn round a 5lb cabbage in 16 weeks at 25 degrees C ave. day time temp with highs of unto 40 degrees c and harvested probably 20-30kgs of Kale per day from a  small area. Seedlings were started in a plastic hoop house, must have been 40 degrees daily. I think the generalisation that Brassicas hate heat is OTT. I certainly wouldn't suggest however that there is any need to specifically heat brassica seedlings and they will most often be happy outside in the UK.

Totty

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 18:20 »

I'm inclined to agree. My local nursery grows them in opaque poly tunnels until the seedlings are 2 or 3 inches high with the industrial gas heaters blasting away. It is positively tropical in there. I'm not sure what the actual temp is, but you don't want to wearing a coat. They then go outside for sale in April in a big open sided shed with a shaded roof. 

I wouldn't argue with DD though.

The plants being sold at the garden centres now are junk. Leggy, and weak, because they have been growing in a heated polytunnel with lower light levels. Grown slowly, with maximum natural light and brassicas will grow stocky and strong, ready for any weather.

Rowan,  what varietys were you growing in Kenya?

Totty

cadalot

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 19:31 »
My Cauliflower just didn't germinate all 12 of them failed - going to try again after the frost

al78

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 21:19 »

Never had any issues growing Cabbage / Broccoli / Kale in Kenya. I could turn round a 5lb cabbage in 16 weeks at 25 degrees C ave. day time temp with highs of unto 40 degrees c and harvested probably 20-30kgs of Kale per day from a  small area. Seedlings were started in a plastic hoop house, must have been 40 degrees daily. I think the generalisation that Brassicas hate heat is OTT. I certainly wouldn't suggest however that there is any need to specifically heat brassica seedlings and they will most often be happy outside in the UK.

Some differences between Kenya and the UK are the sunlight is much stronger, the daylength in the "winter" months is much longer and I suspect there is less of that horrible dull perma-clag type weather that often plagues the UK in Spring and Autumn. I wonder if it is not so much the temperature alone but the balance between temperature and sunlight that dictates how the plants grow. In the UK if the temperature is artificially kept high but with the low light levels typically seen in early spring the seedlings will grow quickly but then race to find adequate light hence they grow leggy and weak.

Just my thoughts. Are you growing varieties that have been bred for hot climates?

xx
Sudden and rapid demise of tomato seedlings

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 20, 2007, 17:23
by yummy
xx
cauliflower seedlings

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 07:41
by PennyS
xx
Cauliflower seedlings

Started by ClaireMc on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 30, 2007, 23:00
by king cauli
xx
Cauliflower Seedlings

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 11:04
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 28 queries.