Sudden and rapid demise of tomato seedlings

• 17 Replies

yummy

« on: March 18, 2007, 20:26 »
I have about 20 tomato seedlings in small pots in front of patio doors. I move them away from the doors at night.

The smallest have started wilting today and seem to have died. Is this just because they are the smallest? It seems odd that they have all gone in quick succession.

Is there anything I can do to make sure my better seedlings don't go downhill too?

Thanks

triage999

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 20:47 »
Don' quote me but I think it is far to early to plant tomatoes yet, I have a greenhouse and will not start them in there until the end of next month!

Outdoor planting is usually around May.

yummy

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 21:56 »
Oh ok. It said from Feb indoors/under glass on the packet.

They are inside the house and have been fine for 3/4 weeks until today.

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 21:57 »
sounds like damping off . over watering causes this . also if they get affecxted by central heating and then sudden cold shock this will knock them out
still alive /............

yummy

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 22:04 »
Ah ok. They are nice and snug til I open the patio and let the dogs out. It has been noticeably colder today so perhaps they keep getting blasted  :(

thanks

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 22:10 »
Toms may seem tough as old boots when they're growing, but they're extremely susceptible to cold drafts, and your patio door sounds like a humdinger blast source. Always remember where toms came from - Mexico, and they still wish they were back there. I even check my window ledges for any drafts that might be sneaking through.
Next time find somewhere else to rest them, even if its not as sunny.  :wink:

yummy

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 10:10 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Next time find somewhere else to rest them, even if its not as sunny.  :wink:

I've no idea where to put them next time. I was advised to move them from the previous position because they were getting really leggy  :(

Annie

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 10:18 »
If you wait a couple of weeks then by the time they are a few inches tall it may be warm enough to pop them outside during the day and use tinfoil to reflect the light.Better luck next time.

WG.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 10:19 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Toms may seem tough as old boots when they're growing, but they're extremely susceptible to cold drafts, and your patio door sounds like a humdinger blast source. Always remember where toms came from - Mexico, and they still wish they were back there.  

That was my theory too Trillium but, since I don't grow tomatoes, I decided to stay quiet (for once).

Drafts were a big problem for my mate Oscar too.  He was a computer hardware engineer from Mexico City and he froze his buns off in Scotland.

ziggywigs

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 16:19 »
Need to grow them away from draughts, direct sun and any radiators (or artificial heat sources), but with plenty of light.

It's quite difficult to achieve really - my plants are in the guest bathroom as this was the only place i could find for them to grow on until i get my greenhouse up and running.

beansticks

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 17:52 »
Oh Ziggy,guest bathroom theres posh.

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 18:21 »
Only once, WG ?  :lol:  :lol:

Yummy, if you're so determined to start toms early, despite other lotty advise, then you'd best invest in a fluroescent fixture to suspend over a suitable area for your seedlings. Best bulb to use is a full spectrum one, or Grower's Bulb, so the plant is happier and stronger. Perhaps someone can rig up a short timber upside down C frame structure to suspend the light from as you want the light source about 6" above seedling tops and able to move higher as the plants grow.
Otherwise, be more patient and wait a bit longer. I suspect the early start date on the packet is more for commercial/nursery growers info and simply copied onto domestic pkgs.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 18:47 »
Quote from: "triage999"
Don' quote me but I think it is far to early to plant tomatoes yet, I have a greenhouse and will not start them in there until the end of next month!

Outdoor planting is usually around May.

It's not too early if they are going into a heated greenhouse. I've just potted mine on.

I suspect the draughts got them!

Apologies for repeating this again, but unless you meticulously read every message, it's easy to miss - and you don't need to mess about with fancy lights - just take what nature offers......

Quote from: "Digger Dave"

Start them inside on a window sill. I put mine in a seed tray, (24 seeds to a half size tray), cover with glass or polythene, then cover that with newspaper to keep out the light.

As soon as the first one shows, take off the covering, tuck a bit of cooking foil part way under the seed tray, on one long side, then bring up the back & sides vertically, leaving one long side exposed. (If this makes sense). The foil should be 3" to 4" longer than the seed tray on each side. What you should end up with is a vertical piece of foil behind the tray and for a certain length on each side.

This will increase the amount of light the plant gets & stop it becoming 'drawn'. Keep in the window sill, obviously with the exposed side of the seed tray facing the window.

After the second set of leaves is well formed, pot up into 3" pots, keep in window sill until it's consistantly reasonably warm at night, (unless the greenhouse is heated), not forgetting to come up with some cunning plan to keep the foil in position. I grow mine in a small upstairs window and 'blue tac' the foil across the ledge.

Hope this helps and is not too confusuing. The foil bit is easy to do, not so easy to write down!!!

And oops, sorry triage999 - I DID quote you :oops:  :oops:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

leeky

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 21:14 »
Dave, that would make an excellent sig line  :lol:  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 21:19 »
Quote from: "leeky"
Dave, that would make an excellent sig line  :lol:  :lol:

If you mean growing toms for 42 years - that IS my sig line & also true!

xx
Cauliflower Seedlings Demise

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 21:19
by al78
xx
Very sudden wilting of Purple Ukraine tomato

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2023, 18:44
by mumofstig
question
Where to keep tomato seedlings

Started by mexi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 20:22
by mexi
xx
Tomato seedlings

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 20:04
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.743 seconds with 36 queries.