Heavy metal contamination?

• 14 Replies

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
Heavy metal contamination?
« on: April 12, 2014, 21:56 »
Hello, I have just been digging over some fresh ground in my garden and found quite a lot if rubbish under the turf, including some old rusted batteries. Is it safe to grow fruit vegetables in this soil now? I did a quick Google and would like to test the soil for contamination, but I'm not sure how to do that. Can't find anything immediately obvious online.

I'm just concerned as I have young children.

Does anyone know about this?

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
Re: Heavy metal contamination?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 23:28 »
Anyone?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 23:33 »
Anyone who had read the post and knew the answer would have replied.

Sorry if that's not helpful ...................

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 23:37 »
You would need to get in contact with a soil testing laboratory as testing for containments in soil is not a simple thing and not really something you will be able to do on your own.

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 23:40 »
Yes that's what I found out from Googling, the thing I couldn't find out is the definitive place to send a sample. Thought someone here might have done similar in the past. Or do you think I am being over cautious?

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 23:55 »
I found this on another forum "I have tons of experience - I worked in soils labs for 14 years. Which is how I know that for example, some soils in wandsworth are contaminated with cyanide.....

What I would do, and believe me there are hundreds of contaminants so before wasting money, dig up a few handfuls, mix together in a tray and [with gloves on] handle it, smell it, pop some into a jar of hot water and shake it and leave it to cool and settle.

It if is contaminated, it will likely smell chemically, be slimey or sticky [more than just clayey], or when you take the top off the jar, there will be a oily film or [once the soil settles] a discolouring of the water."

But like anything on the internet, who knows if this guy actually worked in a soil lab for 14 years.

How many batteries are we talking and what kind of other stuff? I would maybe send an email to a few soil labs and tell them what you found in your garden and see how much they charge for soil contamination tests. Could get expensive. If you do go ahead with that i'm sure they will give you instructions on how to collect samples.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 23:58 by Eightball »

Steveharford

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 06:25 »
Jome perhaps you could give Environmental Health a call at your local council. They used to do do asbestos analysis for us and I'm sure they must have a capability to do soil and stuff. Also the water authority may help if it is in danger of seeping into a water course. I would imagine it will all have to be dug out and replaced if it is contaminated. Good luck

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 07:09 »
If the batteries were car or large ones i would worry. If they were small transistor radio ones and the amount was less than 20 i think you would be ok.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 11:06 »
Jome perhaps you could give Environmental Health a call at your local council. They used to do do asbestos analysis for us and I'm sure they must have a capability to do soil and stuff. Also the water authority may help if it is in danger of seeping into a water course. I would imagine it will all have to be dug out and replaced if it is contaminated. Good luck
Good idea, Steve - also it shouldn't cost you anything to have it analysed. Let's hope it isn't too bad - fingers crossed for you.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 19:32 »
There are places that will test for soil contamination. I have used NRM at Bracknell.
However just because they can give you a whole lot of chemical  data wont help much because you then get into a whole world of different interpretations assessing what is significant.  e.g. ICRCL 59/83 Trigger Concentrations.

There are all sorts of surprises, such as arsenic is a perfectly naturally occurring element in soil, up to a point.

I am not a soil scientist, but I picked up some of the lingo.  (When my consultants told me the soil on my construction site was "contaminated", I just approved the order to dig it all out and replace it!)
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 20:24 »
If the ground was contaminated with excessive Zinc, it would show on the plants growing there. Plants really struggle to take up the right nutrients and end up either stunted or yellowing. 

Lead hasn't been used in domestic batteries for a while now, so  this may be less of a concern.  If it's car batteries and they have leaked, then you have a problem.

The potential quantity of contamination is probably quite low and local, so digging would dissipate it further.  Maybe reserve it to site a compost heap or lay a path across it.

I would certainly be interested in any test results you have taken.

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 21:04 »
Thanks for all your replies. There wasn't a car battery, just 5/6 D/c size (the kind you would put in a large radio) they were coroded. It's not really a site that could become a path or compost heap - it's slap bang in the middle if my garden that's now a veg patch ( the only area that gets decent light)
I think I'll try environmental health this week as hopefully that won't cost much.

I'm guessing it's probably fine, just I don't want to take chances as I have young children. I did read online that little heavy metals are taken up by fruit bushes, so I think I will put my raspberries there instead

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 21:52 »
To be honest I would have tought you were being over worried the soil will have been contaminated with lots of things and you will need to eat a very large amount of produce to suffer any effects . Providing your land had no commercial factory waste on it you will be ok
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

solway cropper

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 23:12 »
The type of batteries you found would be zinc-carbon which also contain manganese oxide and ammonium chloride. None of the above ingredients are toxic in the ammounts you'd have in your garden and if you removed the batteries anyway the amounts would be negligible. Grow what you want and don't worry.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 22:52 »
I don't think you should be to worried as they are not old car batteries, but if you like and to be on the safe side
you could remove some of the soil around the area, just dig some soil out where your found them, dig down about a foot and renew it with some fresh soil. most contamination travels downwards. I have had to remove thousands of tons off some construction sites in the past. one was and old scrap metal yard.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

xx
The 'my heavy soil is too heavy', thread.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 02:29
by vegmandan
xx
soil contamination help!?

Started by Mirri on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2013, 09:53
by allotmentor
clip
Is this from manure contamination?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2021, 20:09
by Yorkie
xx
lead contamination

Started by sladefungus on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 07, 2007, 20:14
by ytyynycefn

Page created in 0.603 seconds with 38 queries.