What a waste of money

• 25 Replies

Silverpaul

What a waste of money
« on: April 06, 2014, 22:42 »
Just as a matter of interest, which piece of gardening equipment has proved to be the biggest waste of your hard earned money. Mine is a hoselock hosepipe on a reel,I spend longer getting the kinks out of it,than I do using it.
Get me to my allotment before I lose the plot!

solway cropper

Re: What a waste of money
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 22:54 »
Never bought anything that I don't make full use of. I rely on people buying me presents for Christmas  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:08 »
One of those push lawn aerators  :nowink: 

Flymo Hover mower "which actually hoovers your grass"  Yeah and blows it all over you and your neighbours, covering every plant in the garden with a blanket of green.  I hated this mower and wanted to jump on and smash it to bits.  My husband swopped it for another brand  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:17 »
My Bosch NiCad-powered hedge trimmer - used twice a year for the last 4 years, now both batteries are unable to hold a charge, and replacements would cost at least as much as the whole piece of kit did in the first place, so it's effectively scrap now.  :nowink:

Will move this thread to "Equipment Shed" as it's not really about 'Growing your own.'
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:35 »
Plastic dibber and pricker outy thingy. They were a few gift but how useless are they!  I can never find them when I want and even when I do fingers is far more effective.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 09:57 »
My Bosch NiCad-powered hedge trimmer - used twice a year for the last 4 years, now both batteries are unable to hold a charge, and replacements would cost at least as much as the whole piece of kit did in the first place, so it's effectively scrap now.  :nowink:

I've had my cordless drill for nearly 12 years so last year I was not too surprised that the battery took longer to charge up, and quickly ran down during the early stages of the building project I was doing.  Purchasing a new one was out of the question so I persevered, re-charging it at least twice a day just to keep going.  By the end of the 2 weeks it took to finish the project, the battery was charging up quicker and lasting a lot longer too.  Your twice a year for just 4 years does not seem an awfully long time for a battery to be completely useless ... maybe the infrequency is the problem?

As for waste of money - a polycarbonate greenhouse from Argos.  It was about £325 so not small change, but impossible to build.  I've already got 2 greenhouses that I have put together myself so I never imagined I would have problems building this one.  After 2 years I gave up and last year bought a polytunnel instead - the ease that went up was a miracle in comparison  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:13 »
I've had my cordless drill for nearly 12 years so last year I was not too surprised that the battery took longer to charge up, and quickly ran down during the early stages of the building project I was doing.  Purchasing a new one was out of the question so I persevered, re-charging it at least twice a day just to keep going.  By the end of the 2 weeks it took to finish the project, the battery was charging up quicker and lasting a lot longer too.  Your twice a year for just 4 years does not seem an awfully long time for a battery to be completely useless ... maybe the infrequency is the problem?

Thanks BabbyAnn - you may be right about the infrequent use - I've gurgled about trying to 'restore' NiCad batteries but it's not straightforward, especially when it comes to trying to completely discharge them.

I might try repeated charge and discharge cycles, although even if it works I suspect I'd soon be back to square one. If replacements were half the price, possibly trading in the old ones for recycling, it would probably be worth doing.....

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 10:22 »
JayG, there is a bit of kit, which recharges and discharges batteries itself over a continuous period, and apparently, it does make them work much better when they're then used in the machine you want, as Babbyann says.

I can't recall what it's called, or who makes it, but a Gurgle may help...

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 11:15 »

Will move this thread to "Equipment Shed" as it's not really about 'Growing your own.'
Same problem with a battery operated strimmer! >:(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 16:48 by Fairy Plotmother »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 16:39 »
JayG, there is a bit of kit, which recharges and discharges batteries itself over a continuous period, and apparently, it does make them work much better when they're then used in the machine you want, as Babbyann says.

I can't recall what it's called, or who makes it, but a Gurgle may help...

Thanks Growster - I can't find an actual device that will do the job for you, although there are plenty of articles about DIY regeneration, some of which sound like a greater risk to one's personal safety than others!  :ohmy:

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 18:06 »

Thank you, I was thinking of buying one!!!! :ohmy:
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 11:57 »
It seems that Nicads are permanently damaged by being left completely discharged, which will happen over a period of time even if previously fully charged, because they slowly self-discharge when not in use. Add this to the fact that they have a 'memory effect' if charged when only partly discharged makes it all a bit of a head-scratcher for me when it comes to looking after them properly.

Could be that tools equipped with the more recent Lithium ion batteries are a better bet (albeit even more expensive.)

Perhaps someone can contribute their experiences of those?

grendel

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 12:11 »

buy some new nicads at maplins and solder up a new pack in the same configuration as the old, then replace the new ones in the case the old ones came from. I have done this in the past using a bunch of batteries being sold off cheap in B&Q , stripped the cells out of their old packs and reconfigured for my existing (dead) batteries. works a charm.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

grendel

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 12:18 »
I have also wired up a 12v drill to a connector and cable to run it off the car lighter socket.
model car / boat battery packs of the right voltage can also do the job with the right connector installed onto the drill / hedge trimmers terminals.
Grendel
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:20 by grendel »

Casey76

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 14:23 »
Cordless/battery chainsaw (B&D).  After it's first use the chain is so loose I daren't even start it - and it can't be tensioned any tighter.

Cordless/battery strimmer - can't strim a normal blade of grass/battery won't hold a charge.

Flymo leaf blower/lawn vacuum.  After 5 years I haven't even put it together  ::)

It appears I'm as bad with garden gadgets as I am with kitchen gadgets!

xx
Did I waste my money?

Started by sweetpea84 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2017, 21:50
by sweetpea84
xx
More money than sense?

Started by Willow_Warren on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2015, 15:06
by Beekissed
xx
Fence Sprayers - worth their money?

Started by samjess on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 11:31
by Junie
xx
Advice before I spend money on a cultivator please

Started by BussinSpain on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 01:51
by Otis

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 32 queries.