How Long To Make Compost

• 25 Replies

BARNACLE BILL

How Long To Make Compost
« on: March 13, 2014, 21:05 »
Just a quick question regarding compost. I started compost heap last May. I followed the advice of not putting in grass clippings. So I have put down alternative layers of vegetable waste with shredded paper. I also add chicken manure and fresh horse manure. Today after a recent dry spell (which is unusual where I live ) I turned over the heap. I was surprised because the lower layers where just a slimy mess. Some of the contents still resembled the original waste i.e broad bean stalks. Although you could see composition had started. I may be being a bit impatient but how long does it take to get the text book (looks like crumbled Christmas cake ). Also I have noticed that the raw manure (orangery colour ) still looks the same as the same as when I added it 5 months ago.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:57 by mumofstig »

3759allen

Re: HOW LONG TO MAKE COMPOST
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 21:11 »
how hot was the heap and was there any worms crawling around?

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 21:35 »
If it's really wet then you should add some more carbon to the bin and also if the pile lacks oxygen, anaerobic composting might start to occur which is much slower and much smellier! sounds like that's the case.

Soft cardboard (loo roll centers, egg boxes etc)  and crumpled up newspaper would help to soak up some of the excess moisture and also creature air pockets.

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 21:44 »
4 things for good compost =  material, moisture, heat and oxygen, 6 to 12 months, depending upon the 4 requirements (not forgetting bacteria and worms). You may need to turn your compost over to help it on its way. A good compost heap should not really be smelly.
who pinched me marrow?

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 22:25 »
A compost heap also needs to be a good size in order to develop enough heat to kill weed seeds, etc. Mine is about  8 x 4 x 4 feet and by the time I'm digging stuff out from the bottom of it I'd say it's been in there for nearly two years. Other than that I'd say as long as you have a good materials you'll get good compost...eventually.

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 22:31 »
If you have a spare £165 - £185 you could have it quicker! http://www.hotbincomposting.com/ You could buy a lot of compost for that though. ;)
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 05:30 »
i find you get more heat from a tall but thinner heap than a big heap that only gets a foot or two deep.

from a quick read of that link it just seem like a normal compost bin that has far better insulation qualities, i didn't read anywhere that you heat it up using any sort of heating element. if this is the case i will prob have some large sheets of polystyrene left over from insulating the shed and garage roofs (originally come from a industrial cold store). i may see if i can make a (or knowing me more likely a row) of bins up, surely must work in a similar way.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 06:11 »
Ok BB... regarding your slimy mess and layers..

It sounds like the heap is open to the rain? This will cause the slimy mess. I always add lawn clippings to my compost bin and heaps. You obviously just left it to do its own thing? You really need to turn it once a month minimum to aerate and mix up. Did you add any accelerator? Comfrey is a good natural ingredient to do that or you can buy a tub from the local B&Q or garden centre.

You need to add some browns like leaves and bunny bedding etc as well. It also needs to be damp'ish and not wet.

It should take a season to make good compost..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

diospyros

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 07:24 »
I got a book from the library which was ALL about how to make compost.  Shredded paper compacts down too quickly and the air can't get in - scrumpled is better.

beesrus

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 19:05 »
Compost really is a recipe that takes a bit of balance. For those that know what they're doing , then 6 to 9 months will do the business. For those with less input, and that includes me I think, probably two years. Needs to be moistish but certainly not wet. Keep covered and apply a little light rain as and when you think it too dry.
Turning is the difficult bit especially if one uses daleks, but it really is a good idea, a bit like turning a smouldering bonfire.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 19:07 »
What most people forget is to add a spade or two of soil into every layer. Soil contains the bacteria which rot down the plant material.

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 19:19 »
Thank you to all the replies. It seems I have got quite a lot wrong.

It is certainly to wet  it is contained in a 3 sided polycarbonate sheets. Then a tarp goes over the top. But it does not prevent all the rain getting in.

There is obviously to much shredded paper going in as I use that in the chicken coop.

The plot was new to me last year so there was not a lot of material. Hence the heap was relatively small so would not have generated much heat.

I have struggled to turn it as it clumps together and sticks to the fork. It almost has a wet clay consistency.

The question is do I just leave it and let nature take it's course. Or should I start a new heap (I have the space) and add small amounts of the original to the new heap.

Christine

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 19:25 »
There is always hope of renovation. Turn it and mix it. But what you could really use is brown cardboard - not any other sort but brown cardboard. Layer of your contents, layer of cardboard, layer of your contents ..... That will help with the damp. Suggest you need a little more ventilation.

Do you have it in a place which sees the sun on a regularly daily basis? The sun does wonders for warming up compost heaps and helping them to rot down. Many people stuff their compost heap in dark, dank hollows or frosty corners and then wonder why they never get warm enough to rot down.

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 19:51 »
Hi Christine its in the sun from around 9 am until about 3 pm. I checked it tonight  and its obviously to wet. So I intend to add some layers of cardboard to try and reduce the water content. I will then try and make a better cover so the rain can't seep in.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 20:32 »
Hello,

It does not matter if you make mistakes, it is part of the learning game.
My first attempt at composting failed miserably , I filled my bin with saw dust and shavings from OH's small animal waste. Not until I did a bit of reading and asking questions that I found out where I went wrong. I cleared it all out and with the OH sorted out the bedding issue and now have two  bins with about 2 cubic meters of lovely compost. 
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

xx
How do you make compost

Started by paula953 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 07:39
by shaun
xx
Can I make my own ericaceous compost?

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 15:31
by AK9
xx
Ericaceous compost. Can I make my own?

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 23:09
by cooperman
xx
How long do bags of compost keep?

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 21:37
by mumofstig

Page created in 2.79 seconds with 37 queries.