Hen pecked

• 5 Replies

Pavlodge

Hen pecked
« on: March 12, 2014, 22:20 »
3 days ago I took on a young cockerel from a friend(who's neighbours complain about the noise  ::) ) He has settled in well  but tonight when I went out to lock them up  1 of the hens was missing . I found her roosting in a tree & discovered that the back of her head was very blooming & cut .  I have put her in a coop of her own for tonight .
 What can I do about the cut  & should I keep her segregated . advice please.

Springlands

Re: Hen pecked
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 22:46 »
You could separate her but not for long - trouble is if you keep her separated for too long she might have difficulty integrating back into the flock. In the mean time the cut needs to be sprayed with purple spray and you will need to keep an eye on it - if the cut does not heal you would need to take her to the vet.. Are you sure it was the cockerel that attacked her - if so and it is going to cause problems with your flock you might have to get rid if it.

barley

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 22:52 »
oh dear - it sounds like the cock has attacked her - I have one that does it ( yes cocks will attack hens  :ohmy: ) he can only come out with some of the girls that he likes

try bathing her head with mild salt water and separate her for tonight , then watch the cock tomorrow to see if he was the guilty party

I wonder if that's the real reason they got rid of him !!!

he will do some serious damage or even kill so separate him if necessary

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 08:21 »
If he is attacking hens you may need to cull him. However, young cockerels are inexperienced and can get their reason for being a bit wrong to start with! :blush:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Pavlodge

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:19 »
It's only the one hen that he attacks . could it be that she used to rule the roost . ?

barley

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 21:56 »
It's only the one hen that he attacks . could it be that she used to rule the roost . ?

I'm no expert on cockerels but it sounds that way doesn't it - mine is just a little man with a big ego , but as I said he really means business when he goes for some of mine and I'm sure if I left him to it he would kill

I once caught him attacking one hen  in the hedgerow - she was bleeding all round her face . crest and feathers pulled out , I have never risked him with her again and she is petrified of him any way

he now has a separation pen where he can see but can't touch - the girls don't seem afraid of him that way

xx
Help - Getting pecked

Started by treacleminer on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 26, 2010, 16:13
by grumpydad
sad
hen pecked??

Started by cluckie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 18:23
by bantam novice
xx
hen pecked

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 23, 2011, 14:45
by nic n dave
xx
hen pecked

Started by denise and joe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 12:21
by lucylou

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 28 queries.