between the paving

• 4 Replies

chrissie B

between the paving
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:23 »
ok I have quite a bit of paving as you come out of the house and a path that leads down the garden , now when we moved here the cement between was not good so out it came and new went in but it still came out now I think the roots from 8 medium sized trees and 4 yew type trees are lifting it oh and an apple tree anyway what I want to know is , I need a hardy little velvety type plant I can put randomly into the gaps between the paving slabs , I thought it would be nice for camomile but it doesent like to much traffic . so any ideas please
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: between the paving
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 09:38 »
I usually say creeping purple thyme, I've had it between my paving for 5 years - but it doesn't look as if mine has made it through all the wet this year  :(

I'll have to get some seeds to start again...................

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 13:00 »
I was going to say thyme as well as I believe it doesn't mind being trodden on and smells lovely when you do. Can you get down far enough between the flags with a thin tool, dig out the stuff that's there, then put in some sharp sand and grit mixed with some compost to help with drainage?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 15:30 »
is It a low plant it sounds lovley ive got a few thyme plants but not that one so far , thanks for that
chrissie b

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 15:36 »
There are very few ground covers that can be walked-on, but creeping thyme is one of them. It is suitable as a lawn substitute in small areas, an ideal ground cover to use between stepping stones or near to patios and walkways. Hardy to -34°C (-30°F) with good drought tolerance, these low maintenance plants don’t require mowing, watering or care, and can take a lot of abuse. When you step on them they emit a lovely fragrance

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thymus-serpyllum-Creeping-Thyme-groundcover-700-Seeds-/170458112948

xx
Planting between paving.

Started by kentishgal on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post January 04, 2013, 20:43
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 31 queries.