Been offered a tiny allotment - wondering whether to accept

• 26 Replies

Parslee

Hi all, I'm new to the site but after some guidance please!

I've just been offered an allotment on a newly opening site. I've been on the list for nearly five years waiting for this site to open (they promised it 3 years ago), and am massively disappointed to find out that in order to get the waiting list down, the plots are only 5m x 5m  :( I'm wondering whether it is worth taking the plot at all to be honest as I doubt I'll be able to get much in there.

So to any experienced allotmenteers - is it worth it? I would need to squeeze in a small shed, as I need somewhere to store tools (will be travelling there by bike), and would like a compost bin, both of which would cut down even more on the space available. Realistically how much could I hope to cultivate in such a small space? Is it even worth the effort? I am so disappointed by this :(

m1ckz

Re: Been offered a tiny allotment - wondering whether to accept
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 15:12 »
i started with that size..but the folowing got the plot next to .so it became 30 x 30 foof,,as people leave i was offered then  so now 3 yrs on i have 60ft x 75 ft an loving it,,,so take it i say  an   good luck

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 15:19 »
I'm sorry it's not what you wanted, but I'd take it for sure. That's half the size of mine and I can ram a hell of a lot into that space. (I've only cultivated 50% of mine so far) You don't 'need' a shed, though they are nice to have, and a dalek doesn't take much space either. It might be that you can get a second plot quite quickly too - or stay on lists for other sites in your area. Growing things that climb can give you more space - for example my beans and cukes all climb arches or netting so more can go in the beds in the ground the plants would otherwise be rambling over. Square foot gardening might be interesting to look at too.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 15:25 »

This is mine from last year which is just under double that. Think it's something like 9mx5m.

Each of the two beds in the foreground are 2mx5m, so with paths probably around the size of your plot? I managed to grow approx 50kg potatoes from approx 25 plants, 14 tomato vines (produced a lot of fruit), 7 courgette plants (produced FAR too many courgettes), 2 cucumber plants and 4 pumpkin plants.

I looked around for bush varieties of things like courgettes as they take up less space. I have some video's on youtube that show it with everything grown a bit more. You can def fit a fair bit of veg in a small space if you are smart with the varieties of things you pick. Also things like tomatoes take up relatively little room as you grow them up.

I also had things ready to go in once other stuff had come out. After my early potatoes were out I planted leeks in the space. And once my onions came out I planted overwintering broccoli in their place. It's basically about trying to make every inch of space useful when you are working in a small garden/plot.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 15:34 by Eightball »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 15:26 »
I agree exactly with what Surbie and M1ckz says, it is a good place to start if it is your first allotment.  It gives you a chance to find out whether having an allotment is all you hoped it would be.  It is also good training for when you get more space as you learn how to really pack the plants into every corner.

Anne

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 15:27 »
If you're a new gardener then a small plot is always best. It  gives you a chance to make all the necessary mistakes for proper initiation  :D We've all learned by our mistakes.

Plus, it's small enough that you don't feel overwhelmed by any needed work and simply walk away. By the end of your first season, you'll know better if it's for you or not. If you find it's what you like, then you can move on to a bigger area and know exactly what it will require.

As for the compost heap, make it tall and narrow rather than wide so you save on space. Grow only some basics you know you like rather than every exotic plant on earth. It takes time to learn even know how to grow peas, toms and cabbage. I wouldn't recommend potatoes for a very small space as the yield never justifies the space needed.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 15:30 »
Take it without doubt, vertical gardening is the key to great success. Still harping on about it LOL think outside of the box and good luck.  :D

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 15:38 »
You could ask whether there is someone who is prepared to let you store a few tools in their shed for a while.  That would save you a bit of space, that is what I did until I got a bigger plot.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 15:46 »
I was recovering from an ankle injury soon after accepting my first small (shared) plot so I struggled to get most of my side cleared and cultivated in the first year.  Surprisingly, I actually got a lot out of the small bit I did manage - a row of peas, carrots, some onions, tomatoes, a couple of courgettes, about 10 sweetcorn - so 5M x 5M is do-able.  It wouldn't have fed a family but like a lot of people say, having an allotment plot comes with a steep learning curve with whatever weather and pests thrown in for good measure so starting off with a smaller plot will be much easier.

With regards keeping tools in a shed - despite good security fencing, we have had break ins on our site so I actually take mine to the plot rather than store in the shed (which is full of junk if I was honest)  I usually have an idea of what I need to take for the day. 

As for the waiting list - it is possible the list won't be so long.  The surge in allotment requests in recent years has been gradually tailing off and it would not surprise me if some plots are not taken up.  So my advice would be to go for it

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 15:48 »
Also I feel your pain about the bike. For a long time I carried all my tools on my bike only taking what I needed that day. Managed to figure out a way to cycle with a fork/spade a bit like a knight jousting lol. I probably looked crazy but who cares.

I also transport all my seedlings on my bike as well. In a box on the back of my bike held on via bungee cord. Sometimes I wish I had a car!

Parslee

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 17:03 »
Thanks for all the advice. It seems like tall and thin crops are the way to go :) A shed or store of some sort will be an essential I'm afraid - I'll have my toddler on the back of the bike, so no room for anything else really!! Maybe a trowel and some seedlings in the front basket but that's about it...maybe I need a bike trailer? As its a new site, no idea yet whether it is likely to attract vandals. I don't think there are problems with the other sites in town, but being new it may attract attention.

I hadn't heard of square foot gardening, I'll look into it.

I think my disappointment stems from being familiar with full size plots (friends had them in the past), so that was the size I was expecting. When I heard it was opening this Spring and we had a plot, I immediately had exciting visions of a big plot, with loads of fruit as well as veg. Oh well - I think we will go for it, but will have to do a lot of research into how best to lay it out. And hope one of my immediate neighbours gives it up quite quickly :)

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 17:17 »
Maybe you could make a small  trailer for your bike for moving things about.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 17:40 »
if you do want to grow potatoes growing them in pots on the soil is a good use of space.

Like this vNml1YeDS5M He seems to get really good yields from this method.

Mr Dog

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 19:00 »
I'd say definitely take it. Until I got my plot I have been growing veg in the garden - 3 beds: 8 x 13ft, 8 x 6ft and 6 x 3 ft. I ignored spacing recommendations and crammed stuff in managing to grow plenty of veg for 3 of us. My main recommendations would be to concentrate on growing what you, and your family, like to eat.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 19:05 »
Its amazing how creative you can get with space. i tend to plant stuff cosy too.

xx
I've been offered an allotment at last BUT....

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 06:20
by Growster...
xx
Allotment offered, where do I start???

Started by Pickles29 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 16:06
by Kim50
xx
offered a full allotment

Started by Christian on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post January 20, 2007, 20:09
by fluffypebble
xx
Newbie - just been offered allotment

Started by Squeako on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 16:33
by madcat

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 37 queries.