Slow Worms

• 8 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Slow Worms
« on: February 21, 2014, 21:33 »
Hi guys,

I found a slow worm in my compost bin a few days ago, I was gutted when it disappeared when I disturbed it.  Does anyone have any good way of attracting them back as I have quite a lot of slugs on my plot and I could really do with a little helping hand to get rid before the season starts what with all this rain we have been having.

Cheers

Dan
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

peedee555

• Experienced Member
Re: Slow Worms
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 00:10 »
whats a slow worm is it different from normal worms cos they dont seem very fast either or is it a different species and how do they help with slug problems ...really dont know much about worms but i know they do good

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:01 »

diospyros

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:09 »
A slow-worm is a legless lizard.  You can tell it is a lizard because unlike snakes it can blink.  Basically you need to provide an "undisturbed compost heap" which will not be turned.  I would be made up if I found a slow-worm, I haven't seen one for years.

Mum2mj

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 07:35 »
I had to move 9 slow worms from one part of my plot to another as they were hiding under carpet which I was moving. I was so happy I hope they were okay in their new home!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:46 »
My small plot is next to the boundary, which has a strip of land including trees and various bushes.  Its all a bit overgrown and there is plenty of deadwood on the ground, but the slow worms love it and I am always finding them basking inside my darlek bins.

The bigger piece of plot is out in the centre of the site surrounded by grass paths and I never see them there.

An undisturbed wood pile would be a good start to keeping them on your plot.  If you have room, a bit of wildlife planting where they can retreat to would also help.

I love seeing them as well  :)

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 23:23 »
I like the idea of a log pile i think i could squeeze one in on the plot.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 08:38 »
A slow worms idea of a luxury 5 star hotel when it is not winter  is a piece of old corrugated iron on grass in a sunny spot !

As a lad i knew all the best slow worm places in the area ! :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 09:42 »
A slow worms idea of a luxury 5 star hotel when it is not winter  is a piece of old corrugated iron on grass in a sunny spot !

As a lad i knew all the best slow worm places in the area ! :)

I used to love carefully lifting the old pieces of corrugated iron to find slow worms  :D

In fact, my brother and I  rehomes dozens of them from the old prefab site, when the houses were being demolished, as we were worried they would get killed or have no where to live. As the area was tarmac' ed over to make a play park , I reckon we were right.

We took them all home and released them in the garden, where there is still a thriving population today. (My brother actually now lives back in that same house  :D )

Would need special permission these days as you are not allowed to do such things -- so please do not try this at home, as the saying goes. Slow Worms are now a protected species
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:05 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
SLOW WORMS

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post July 13, 2007, 23:24
by Ali
xx
Slow Worms

Started by Nufan182 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 09:28
by Ema
xx
slow worms and slug pellets!!

Started by Ali M on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 09:14
by mobilekat
xx
worms

Started by Gareth J on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2011, 12:40
by TheSpartacat

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 37 queries.