Do beak bits really work?

• 8 Replies

Lardman

Do beak bits really work?
« on: February 20, 2014, 14:53 »
One of the girls has developed a nasty feather plucking / eating habit  It's obvious which one as the other 2 look oven ready :mad: 

There are treats and toys in the run and plenty of grit/shell. I can't seem to stop her so have bought some beak bits. After a bit of a struggle I've managed to get it on - but Im not convinced it will stop her and I'm a little concerned she wont be able to eat properly with it on.

Reassurance required...  ::)

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: Do beak bits really work?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 15:50 »
Hi
I know exactly what you are going through I had a hen turn nasty and she attacked another hen, including severe feather pulling, I used a beak clip the white one which hooks under the top part of the beak, it took her a while to be able to drink but she soon got the hang of it, she got very frustrated when she couldn't pull the feathers, so in that respect it worked, however the bit made a groove in the bottom of her beak so she could eventually close her beak completely (approx. 2 weeks) so we took off the bit, she straight away started to pull the feathers again. We put another on her but that obviously didn't work as she could close her beak, we had to separate her with supervised visits to the others. She got better after about 4 months, but sadly a year later she is starting to pull feathers again  :(
Hope this helps and good luck
Sneezer

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 22:08 »
Thanks Sneezer, I'll keep an eye on her beak for wear.  Im hoping it just a phase and she'll stop once the other pair have regained their feathers.  :unsure: I don't have space to separate them anymore, if she continues something more drastic will have to be done.  :(

cbv8

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 01:23 »
I personally think this behaviour is a boredom thing had it with a few of my chucks in the past I notice my chucklets are starting feather plucking/eating when the vulnerable one is dust bathing. My cure is I have chicken wired all my garden off so they can be let out of the run and in the open to roam and pluck/peck grass plants etc but not each other ::) My girls are spoilt rotten they get porridge every morning for breaky and when I'm a bit late with the porridge they growl at me they are like spoilt little children when they don't get there sweeties but we love them dearly :tongue2: go on spoil them let them roam ::) ::)   

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 09:07 »
Unfortunately this behaviour can still occur when free ranging over large areas. It can be to do with a nutrient difficiency but can occur whatever - if only they could talk.  :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

cbv8

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 14:32 »
Unfortunately this behaviour can still occur when free ranging over large areas. It can be to do with a nutrient difficiency but can occur whatever - if only they could talk.  :D
Mine talk to me all the time ;)

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 15:30 »
Have you had a look at the hen spectacles ? Not sure if the are better for feeding , preening etc.
You may have to buy a 1000 from china ! :nowink:

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51 »
Maybe in some cases its boredom, but definitely not in mine, they have a 40 ft x 40 ft enclosure complete with bushes, trees and now lots of holes :nowink:, and there were only 2 hens in there when she attacked the other, and previous to that they were inseparable, they literally were joined at the wing tip all the time. Its just one of those things you can't predict.
I hope your girl breaks her habit soon. :)

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 11:14 »
Maybe in some cases its boredom, but definitely not in mine, they have a 40 ft x 40 ft enclosure complete with bushes, trees and now lots of holes :nowink:, and there were only 2 hens in there when she attacked the other, and previous to that they were inseparable, they literally were joined at the wing tip all the time. Its just one of those things you can't predict.
I hope your girl breaks her habit soon. :)

OCD in the hen house ! ::)

xx
beak bits?

Started by oborne27 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 22:30
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bumpa bits

Started by Pony Girl on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 21, 2012, 18:39
by joyfull
xx
Flaky bits !

Started by jamima on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 15:11
by jamima
xx
Bumpa bits

Started by JaK on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 13, 2012, 11:48
by JaK

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 28 queries.