To net or not to net

• 12 Replies

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
To net or not to net
« on: February 19, 2014, 17:59 »
Hi all,

We'll be growing roots and brassicas for the first time this year. Now, we have problems with wood pigeons so the brassicas will get netted but having not grown carrots before I've no idea if we'll have problems with carrot fly.

Onions, garlic and leeks did fine last year without netting but, like most things, the more I read on sites like this the more I start to believe nothing will grow unless it's wrapped in cotton wool! We could net the alliums in case of leaf miner...

The plot is the back garden so, apart from next door's crops, there may not be anywhere for the pests to come from. Should we assume the worst and just buy a job lot of enviromesh? Or wait and see if we get lucky? It goes without saying we'd really like a healthy crop!

Thanks

Steve
Never stop learning

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
  • Always willing to learn
Re: To net or not to net
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 18:11 »
our  brassicas got destroyed by them white flappy things  :dry: so net them , onions and all that lot should do fine :) even better, net the whole garden  :D
Hi ho, Hi ho
It's off to work we go
(whistles)
Hi ho, Hi ho, Hi ho

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 18:29 »
we had pigeons in our garden last year, so i put bird netting up.

the pigeons didn't touch the brassicas at all however the mentioned white * squeezed through the net as if it wasn't there and ate the lot.

if your netting them make sure you use enviro netting, not the bird netting (i had 7mm net they went through the holes).

as for the pigeons i found an air riffle seems to put them off. our garden is the only one in the area that pigeons avoid.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 18:35 »
Cabbage white butterflies get everywhere including gardens, and wherever I have grown brassicas, even in a school playing field, nets have been essential unless you want to hand pick caterpillars virtually daily.

Carrots though are a different matter. In the school field, and in my daughter's windy hill top garden, carrot fly never appeared, whereas in the densely grown area of our allotment site they are a major pest and without enviromesh I would not have any kind of edible crop. I also net parsnips in the same way.

If there are no other carrots being grown nearby, it is likely that there would be minimal damage --- your call though tbh  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:54 »
Thanks all, so enviromesh for the brassicas it is then, and probably enough for the carrots, too, in case.

Would I know if I had a problem with carrot flly before it's too late?  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:03 »
Would I know if I had a problem with carrot flly before it's too late?  ::)

Unfortunately no.  If you have the enviromesh to spare, then deffo cover the carrots  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 10:50 »
I used debris netting for the brassicas the last 2 years no pesky white flutterbies got through & saved the enviro mesh for the carrots.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

4 Seasons

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 11:30 »
Steve it gets worse.

When you use enviromesh I would avoid making a walk in frame for brassica as white fly can get through the mesh and ruin your sprouts etc. It tends to get a tad warmer within the cage and there is less wind too so the white fly love it.  If you lay the enviromesh on top of the crop and let them push it up as they grow it tends to deter white fly.

With carrots I use a small frame about 3' high so that it is easy to remove the mesh without damaging the crop (especially when they are young) as carrots need regular weeding and you have to keep taking the mesh off to get at them. Those strawberry frames with round rubber balls for corners are good because the mesh just slides on and off easily. They may be expensive for what they do in the first year but they will last years and it's a good investment for the clean crops you get, every year therafter.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 16:35 by 4 Seasons »

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 11:56 »
Onions, garlic and leeks did fine last year without netting but, like most things, the more I read on sites like this the more I start to believe nothing will grow unless it's wrapped in cotton wool! We could net the alliums in case of leaf miner...

Most of us who net don't have to spray anything or squish by hand ;)  What to net is very specific to your location.  You're probably too far north for the leaf miner (yet) so I wouldn't worry about your leeks/onions/shallots or garlic.

I'd try growing without protection first so you can see what pests you actually have there's no need to cover everything if you don't have to and some pests can be tolerated as they just cause a bit of damage, does a ½ eaten cabbage leaf really matter ? Others like the ALM or CRF don't play fair and destroy the entire crop.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 13:45 »
I don't bother with netting for anything except peas and brassicas. I rarely grow  carrots even with enviro mesh they still seemed to be attacked. Probably best approach is to grow carrots in very high beds/tubs.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 00:04 »
I would ask someone who has been on your allotment site for a while and see what pests are common on your site then go from there.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 18:37 »
Newsteve mentioned his plot was in his back garden.
I would buy enviromesh if you can afford it. Lasts longer than fleece, and is useful for many crops. I would use it on carrots, brassicas and young crops to protect them from winds and bad weather.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 20:38 »
our  brassicas got destroyed by them white flappy things  :dry: so net them , onions and all that lot should do fine :) even better, net the whole garden  :D

I go with this idea. LOL white things grrrrrr they even get in small holes in nets  :unsure:

Page created in 0.904 seconds with 29 queries.