• Experienced Member
anyone tried or is growing grapes outside
« on: February 04, 2014, 23:26 »
is it possible to grapes in this climate outside if so any particular type

3 allotments

• now is the time
Re: anyone tried or is growing grapes outside
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 00:13 »
Hi i have had a black hamburg growing outside in back yard for 8 years now, its massive 3inch thick it produced fruit in year 2 or 3,i live north east yorkshire pretty cold.Darren
diggity dig dig

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 00:16 »
oh i might give it a go then its usually quite mild in cambridge ...when its not raing which it is again :(

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 03:13 »
My winters are way colder than the UK, and we have loads of snow, and grapes do just fine. It'll take them a while to wake in the spring but they quickly make up for any lost time.  Grapes are not the prima donnas many mistake them for.

m1ckz

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 07:32 »
ive got 1 at home, good harvest every year,,i took a cutting off this an put it down the allotment,,last year was the first full year an it produced 20 bunches of grapes..quiet small grapes   but very nice an sweet,,but do have seeds in them,,,gona buy a seedless this year   gl

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13 »
Plot 6A has a mountain of them along the path so I bought 3 last year from Wilkinson 2 x white and 1 x red one to grow up the wall I have on the edge of my plot.  One white grew about 8ft tall (comfrey fed) and the other only 2ft (not Comfrey fed) and the red - well it was green and grew 1/2" if that  :nowink: I'm hoping for more growth this year and perhaps a few grapes if I'm really lucky, and yes I will be feeding them all with Comfrey

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:39 »
I have a grape plant in Finland.

It was already in the garden when I moved there. The first year it gave a reasonable amount of grapes, but the wasps ate them all. The second year there was almost nothing. But then again, I didn't take care of it at all.

Sue33

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:43 »

Our plot neighbour has grape plants and some years do better than others but pretty good on the whole  :)

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 11:36 »
thanks all might give it a go now ..dont know why i thought that i had to be half way up a mountain in the south of france to grow a grape  :blush:

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 13:09 »
still a fair amount of vineyards in kent that grow grapes outside. in fact some of the south east has apparently got similar soil as the champagne regions of france, not sure how true this is. using this theory i would say soil condition is more important than weather.

Snoop

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 14:24 »
My winters are way colder than the UK, and we have loads of snow, and grapes do just fine. It'll take them a while to wake in the spring but they quickly make up for any lost time.  Grapes are not the prima donnas many mistake them for.

Agreed.

My dad (in Bristol) has a couple of dessert grape vines and they've done OK, even though he grows them in what I think are very small pots.

4 Seasons

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 15:21 »
You could really do with a protected area that gets plenty of sun but I'm further north than you and have a couple of vines trained to grow around our south facing front door. I like the look of the fruit dangling down every time I go out the door and eating them is always a shame as grapes tend to be one of the last fruits to ripen and picking them indicates the end of summer.
Try to make the correct choice of grape though depending on your needs. If you look at RV Rogers site they give you all the information you will need but if you phone them they are just as happy to talk to you.

http://www.rvroger.co.uk/?linksource=frontpage

I think the best tip I had was to make sure the supporting wires are six inches away from a wall if you plan to grow them that way as the grapes have a gap to hang into away from the birds.  Then when they are fruiting keep any leaves that might shade the sun well clear of the bunches so that they ripen fully.

You might find this link useful too.

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/gardening/grape-vine-mistakes.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 15:28 by 4 Seasons »

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 16:05 »
Spuriousmonkey, I have wasp troubles as well. I have to beat them off before I can pick, and still must watch where I put my fingers. Got stung this past fall when I accidentally grabbed a grape with a wasp on it   >:(

My grapes will not behave with vigorous pruning so I let them run more or less rampant. The grape size is smaller than it should be, but the masses and masses of grape clusters more than make up for it. There's enough for both the wasps and myself provided I start picking early enough. We got many gallons of fruit and turned it all into home bottled grape juice concentrate. I used THIS to cook/strain the grapes and it was worth every penny.

One thing not to do and that is to feed the plants. It just makes loads more leaves and less fruit. Grapes thrive on struggling for food

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 19:43 »
well got seeditis again and got a red vine and a white vine so will see what happens .. and more parsnips and sunflowers and onions cant help myself  ::)

blackberryjam

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 22:50 »
Oh bought a grape vine last autumn, seems to be doing fine so far despite the weather,  should be interesting this year if we get any grapes especially since wasps like them too , don't have the heart to tell him, he's scared to death of wasp's, he always has a can of wasp spray on the ready even in the garden , his never been stung probably because he runs to fast when one gets near him .  ;)

xx
Growing grapes

Started by tessiesplot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 19:38
by tessiesplot
xx
growing grapes.....

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 22:32
by Trillium
xx
Growing grapes outside...

Started by dappy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 13, 2013, 20:25
by angelavdavis
xx
growing grapes

Started by bricoop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2015, 19:41
by bricoop

Page created in 0.718 seconds with 37 queries.