Perlka

• 16 Replies

Mr.C

Perlka
« on: January 26, 2014, 08:30 »
Hi All,
            I'm new to the group so thought I'd say hi before I ask my question  :)
Right then down to business,  does anyone know of a supplier I can purchase perlka from, we have a large allotment site in Bishop Auckland with a slight club root problem and we've found this product really helps, any info or help is much appreciated,
Thanks
Brian

Salmo

Re: Perlka
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:38 »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:47 »
Have you seen the usage warnings?  :ohmy:

Keep away from children!

Do not consume alcoholic beverages 6 hours before, during and up to 12 hours after working with calcium cyanamide!

When using do not eat, drink or smoke!

Wash hands before breaks and immediately after handling the product.

Do not inhale dust! Wear dust mask with particle filter.

Avoid contact with skin and eyes! (wear protection clothes and glasses)

First aid after eye contact:flush with plenty of water (contact doctor).

This is from their own website.

Think I'll stick to lime and brassicas with a good root ball when planted out!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Mr.C

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 09:29 »
Hi DD,

Yes I've seen all the info, we hand out the info sheet if and when people want to buy it.
Its like every product across the globe where theirs the slimmest chance of repercussions its labled in small print in the info guide on manufacturers website to cover them, do you really look at the info on the manufacturers website of every product you purchase, if you did you probably wouldnt use or eat half the things you do.....eg  Air fresheners you'd probably never use one again if you researched the product in detail,
Cheers for making sure I knew about the dangers though DD

Brian

Mr.C

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 09:41 »
Thanks for the link Salmo its much appreciated,
decent price just a shame the delivery is more than the product

Brian

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 11:27 »
DD's list of precautions from the Perlka website are standard for fertilizer except item 2

"Do not consume alcoholic beverages 6 hours before, during and up to 12 hours after working with calcium cyanamide!"

No alcohol!! That could easily ruin the weekend.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:39 »
Absolutely, Salmo!

In fact, I'm going right off this product all together...

Seriously though, Mr C, DD has long espoused growing brassicas from seed to a large root-ball, as the root area gives the plant a fighting chance from day one.

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 11:43 »
I hope anyone using it is obliged to notify other allotmenteers on the same site at the same time or shortly thereafter so that they can take the same precautions.

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 12:07 »
hmmmmm sounds like a def  NO NO to me

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 12:57 »
We have people on our site who object to bee keeping so Lord alone knows what they say about this stuff!

Mr Dog

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 18:37 »
Warnings for handling chemicals can be quite frightening. Who'd want to use this stuff?

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
Appearance: colorless or white. Caution! May cause eye and skin irritation. May cause respiratory tract irritation.
Target Organs: No data found.

Potential Health Effects
Eye: May cause eye irritation.
Skin: May cause skin irritation.
Ingestion: Ingestion of large amounts may cause gastrointestinal irritation. Ingestion of large amounts may cause nausea and vomiting, rigidity or convulsions. Continued exposure can produce coma, dehydration, and internal organ congestion.
Inhalation: May cause respiratory tract irritation.
Chronic: No information found.
Section 4 - First Aid Measures

Eyes: Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
Skin: Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Ingestion: If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid. Wash mouth out with water.
Inhalation: Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear.
Notes to Physician: None

Section 8 - Exposure Controls, Personal Protection

Engineering Controls: Good general ventilation should be sufficient to control airborne levels. Facilities storing or utilizing this material should be equipped with an eyewash facility and a safety shower.

It's from the MSDS for salt.

Mr.C

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 12:54 »
Lol are you having a laugh, you lot must go round in surgical gloves n aprons,
Farmers who grow brasicas use it by the truck load, when I enquired about it from the manufacturer they asked if I wanted a 21 ton load as thats the minimum amount sold to farmers across the uk the fields are probably getting spread by the ton as I type and possibly where you live!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 13:39 »
Farmers who grow brasicas use it by the truck load,
Yes, but I wouldn't think farmers are spreading it by hand  ;)

Like most things in life you have a choice.................................

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 17:04 »
"you lot must go round in surgical gloves n aprons"

Yes, but John has to approve a new post subject leader for these sorts of pastimes!

We keep asking him, but so far, we're stuck with 'Chatting' or the slightly more risque - 'Pets without feathers'..;0)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 18:49 »
Lol are you having a laugh, you lot must go round in surgical gloves n aprons,
Farmers who grow brasicas use it by the truck load, when I enquired about it from the manufacturer they asked if I wanted a 21 ton load as thats the minimum amount sold to farmers across the uk the fields are probably getting spread by the ton as I type and possibly where you live!!!

No we don't go around in surgical gloves and aprons, but we take a responsible attitude to the safety and legality of chemicals on this site.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Page created in 0.684 seconds with 30 queries.