when to start 1st earlies

• 19 Replies

puffinstuff

when to start 1st earlies
« on: January 26, 2014, 00:00 »
Hi folks,
I'd like to sow some 1st and 2nd earlies.  How soon can I get them in.  I live in the south east and I am planning to sow in builders bags with a combination of rotted manure and industrial compost.  Do you think this medium will be okay?

All advice appreciated.

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
Re: when to start 1st earlies
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 07:23 »
Hi Puff,

I assume you are referring to potatoes?

I'd hold off planting them for a good while yet, mid to late March seems to be the norm, even as south as you are.

I have a friend that plants spuds in builders bags in his garden and he has good results. Although the cost of filling the bags can be prohibitive.

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 07:26 »
The rotted manure and compost should be fine (I'm not sure what "industrial compost" is, sorry - or do you mean commercial?) - maybe some sharp sand too for drainage.

How soon can I get them in.  I live in the south east

Believe it or not, you can get them in the soil now but they won't grow and there is a risk that winter can get a lot colder and tubers die when frozen.  Usually from about mid-March but again, depends on the weather and soil temperature - sometimes it is deceivingly mild by then, other times like last year when winter  just kept on going right through to May.

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:58 »
Hoping it won't be like last year BabbyAnn. fingers crossed for a nice warm pleasant spring.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 09:22 »
I always aim to plant about st Patrick's day 17th March, weather allowing........

puffinstuff

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:00 »
Hi,
Sorry babyann I meant commercial compost.  Do I put the first and second earlies  in at the same time.  What time is best to start main crop if the above don't go in until march?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 10:03 »
Earlies, second earlies and lates (maincrop) don't refer to the planting time, but the duration taken to mature.

Generally you start planting and carry on until you're done!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

puffinstuff

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 11:46 »
Thank you all.  I think I'll follow the advice for planting from St. Paddy's day.  As I hail from there remembering shouldn't be difficult!!!

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 19:11 »
last week i put a couple of seed potatoes in pots in the cold greenhouse////just to see what happened

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 19:23 »
Last year I put a few first earlies (Red Duke of York) in around about now in some large containers in a cold GH.
I got a first crop about 2 weeks earlier than their siblings that went in at the allotment at the end of first week of March - but the crop wasn't as big - whether that was due to going in early or being placed in containers I couldn't say.
I will probably wait a couple of weeks then plant a few of my Lady Christl in the GH to see how they do.
I'm also cutiting back on the amount of space I givce over to spuds at my plot so might as well put a few in very early in the GH.

Cheers,
Balders

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 20:22 »
I usually put some in a bag in the cold greenhouse. Smaller crop, but so worth it for that extra early harvest of new spuds.

Got my spuds today and they are chitting away on the windowsill as I type
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 21:00 »
Last year I put a few first earlies (Red Duke of York) in around about now in some large containers in a cold GH.
I got a first crop about 2 weeks earlier than their siblings that went in at the allotment at the end of first week of March - but the crop wasn't as big - whether that was due to going in early or being placed in containers I couldn't say.I will probably wait a couple of weeks then plant a few of my Lady Christl in the GH to see how they do.
I'm also cutiting back on the amount of space I givce over to spuds at my plot so might as well put a few in very early in the GH.

Cheers,
Balders

Crops in containers are almost always smaller per seed tuber than those in the open ground.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 05:22 »
We grew some Lady Christle (3 per big pot), in the greenhouse last year, and they cropped earlier as everyone said here!

But we also replanted the halms, and got the same amount again a couple of months later, when they were outside!

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 12:36 »
Ah - I have often wondered if you could replant the hauls after digging up your first decent-sized pots so the tiny tubers left on the haulms have a chance to grow. Worth a try.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 18:14 »
Ah - I have often wondered if you could replant the hauls after digging up your first decent-sized pots so the tiny tubers left on the haulms have a chance to grow. Worth a try.

Wow! Now this really interesting. Will certainly give this method a go!

xx
first earlies

Started by homegrown on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 06:48
by Wild Willow
smiley
Last of the earlies

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 20:58
by Curlytop
xx
2nd earlies

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 23:06
by Yorkie
xx
1st earlies

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 18:27
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 30 queries.