lime

• 7 Replies

alexroyall85

lime
« on: January 18, 2014, 19:27 »
Hi all

i work on a farm and have unlimited access to lime. Is it just needed where im going to plant all brassicas

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: lime
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 19:50 »
Alex

Brassicas like an alkaline soil so lime is generally good for them. Other plants e.g. potatoes might be less keen. You could perhaps test your soil to see whether its acidic or alkaline before you use the lime. As I understand it - in general as land is used for growing crops it will tend to become more acidic - so adding lime is something that is generally meant to be good for most things. But it depends on the state of the soil that you've got and what you are planning to grow. I saw a ph tester in wilkinsons today for £8 that would tell you whether you soil was acid or not.
My soil had lots of creeping buttercup and nettles so I suspect its a bit acidic - I'm now trying to decide whether to get a soil tester for £8 or some lime and go on instinct and evidence from the weeds I've got.

Cheers,
Balders

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 19:55 »
I usually sprinkle a little lime where I'm planting my onions, and I always seem to get a good crop. I don't know if it's the lime that helps, but my soil is quite heavy, with a lot of clay and I think the lime helps to break it up a bit.

4 Seasons

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 20:31 »
If you grow your crops on a three year rotation then adding lime to your brassica patch will avoid the dreaded club root. The alkalinity will reduce a little the following two years and you then lime it again for the new brassica crop.
If you grow your spuds in the same patch the year before you grow your brassica then the lime content will be reduced and is reduced even more with the addition of farm yard manure, as much as you can scrounge or buy.
It's what I do and so far I have avoided both club root and potato scab.

There is an old saying that I find wise council.

"Lime and lime without manure makes both farm and farmer poor".

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 22:15 »
Do you know which sort of lime you have access to, as not all sorts are suitable for growing veg, I believe.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bravemurphy

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 22:28 »
I have used hydrated lime for years and haven't had any problems I just give the brassicas a good dose and as stated above on a crop rotation that should be enough.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 09:46 »
Best to buy a chemical pH test kit and do several tests before doing any general liming (the cheap probe testers seem to be very unreliable on the whole judging from the feedback received on these forums.)

Hydrated (slaked) lime has about a 50% higher neutralising effect than most other common types (usually ground limestone or chalk) and although far from caustic, needs to be applied with care to avoid skin or eye irritation.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Totty

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 10:20 »
If your ph is between 6.5-7.5, adding lime will give no benefits for brassicas. If soil does need it's ph altered, I use calcified seaweed. More expensive but adds minerals, nutrients and is more beneficial to the soil over a long period of time.

Totty

xx
Garden Lime vs Builders' Lime

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 15, 2012, 12:13
by Swing Swang
xx
Lime

Started by argonaut on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 18:14
by argonaut
xx
lime

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2016, 18:23
by m1ckz
xx
lime

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 05:23
by Rampant_Weasel

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 29 queries.