Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb

• 13 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb
« on: January 15, 2014, 17:22 »
My "Timperley Early" looks like its springing to life - my Victoria less so (which is to be expected).
Anyhow, I'd forgotten what variety the Timperley was (despite the rather large label next to the plant) so googling for early varieties led me to the name of the variety which led me to a T&M link that suggests that some folk force the Timperley and harvest as early as February!
I like rhubarb as much as the next man/woman - but blimey - it seems I could perhaps be harvesting the stuff from February to September (maybe even October in this neck of the woods).  :ohmy:
I rather suspect that would be too much...

(The photos might not show the extent of the differences due to my lack of ability in the creative arts...)

Cheers,
Balders
timp.jpg
vicky.jpg

hamstergbert

Re: Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 17:35 »
ah, well...

Early forcing does knock the stuffing out of a crown for the current year admittedly (at least until well into late summer) - but really early forced if you can manage it is quite simply the food of the Gods.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 17:44 »
Thanks for that hamster... I'd not heard that before about very early forcing... (and from your location I'll bow down to your likely expertise in all things rhubarb  ;)
Is the flavour massively improved then?
So, its worth throwing a large 'dalek' sized container over the early variety to see what occurs?...

Cheers,
Balders

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 18:04 »
Mine looks like yours, aha- is that what it is! Timperly early.   Dalek and hay went over the crown a few days ago  :)   I can't say I notice a big difference in taste myself last year when I forced a different crown, probably due to the custard  :D but it sure feels good harvesting something early.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 18:53 »
On my previous plot I grew 3 clumps of Victoria (that I'd grown from seed :nowink:) & each year I took it in turns to force it with an upturned dustbin over the top,weighted down with a small slab on top. Sublime flavour. Just a shame I didn't move it all with me so not back to full production. Oh & if you do force it feed it well afterwards & don't pick any more that year & only lightly the next.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 19:16 »
Might well give forcing a go just to see what happens. My Victoria were from seed too - think there are only a couple of varieties that are commonly available as seed - can't recall what the other(s) is(are).

Cheers,
Balders

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 21:01 »
...Is the flavour massively improved then...

The sticks are the most wonderful clean pink, a feast for the eyes as well as the taste buds.

The flavour is sweet and subtle (not much oxalic acid as yet) so need to be careful not to obliterate it with thuggish ingredients.  Gorgeous in rhubarb friands and also rather spectacular in a sparse bakewell (ie with only a smear of the almond filling).   Delicious in a plain crumble but early forced does require a whole lot less cooking time!  (For crumble avoid strong flavoured custard - better to make a white cornflour sauce with just a tiniest hint of vanilla)

Can steam for five or ten mins then serve with warmed up honey mixed with the slightest grating of a nutmeg (very, very little, only just detectable - the aim is to enhance not overpower) and a small dollop of plain yoghurt. Well chilled rose to catch the firelight.....

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 22:18 »
Poetry Hammo. Poetry...
Nevermind Wordsworth and his daffodils - you can't eat 'em!
Count me inspired.  :)
I shall give it a go. Thanks for the inspiration Hammo!

Cheers,
Balders

hamstergbert

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 20:59 »
HAMSTERGBERT'S RHUBARB FRIANDS

200 gm forced rhubarb cut into 3-4 cm chunks
3 large eggs (WHITES ONLY)
130 gm icing sugar   
30gm plain flour
90 gm ground almonds
100 gm butter, melted then allowed to cool.

Set up 8 – 10 small muffin cases or cupcake cases in a muffin tray

1.     Warm oven up to 180, spread the rhubarb chunks out on a non-stick baking tray in a single layer.   Sift 1-2 tbsp of the icing sugar over the rhubarb then bake for 8-10 minutes (absolute max).  Allow to cool on the tray.

2.   Whisk the egg whites until forms stiff peaks.

3.   In a separate bowl sift the flour and the (rest of the) icing sugar together and mix in the ground almonds followed by the melted butter.

4.   Mix in 1-2 tbsp of the beaten egg whites to loosen the mix then carefully fold in the rest of the whites.  Do not over-mix!

5.   Half fill the muffin/cupcake cases then add a couple of rhubarb chunks to each then cover with the rest of the mix.  Finish off by plopping the remaining rhubarb chunks on top.

6.   Bake 12-18 minutes until just firm and with a nice warm golden colour.  Allow to sit in the tin for 5-10 mins to cool then put on a wire rack to cool fully, and dust with a bit more icing sugar if wished.

Notes
1.    There are apparently special friand tins available presumably from Lakeland, Peter Maturi, John Lewis etc.  There's posh for you!
2.   If using normal spring rhubarb increase the icing sugar to 160gm, and bake for 15-20 minutes. 

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 21:01 »
My timp early has suddenly shot to life again, is it usually this early.

bravemurphy

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 21:14 »
Mine too has shot to life but I noticed today that some of the immature leaves have either been eaten or burned off by the frost.
Has anyone else got this?

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 17:16 »
Sorry to hijack but rather than start a new thread...

I know rhubarb in containers need a large one, but what would be the smallest container you could get away with? Also, what sort of potting mix would be recommended, given manure isn't recommended for containers.

I ask because it looks like the rhubarb Victoria I planted from seed last year is coming back up and I'll have to get them into decent containers soon. They're rather neglected  :unsure:
1601559_654963924561826_130392536_n.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 18:32 »
Eventually, the bigger the better - their roots spread a lot.  I'd look for a couple of feet diameter for a semi-established rhubarb.

Assuming permanent planting in the pot, go for John Innes #3.  That's for such permanent plants.  It has the highest proportion of soil in it and will retain nutrients and water better.

By the way, the green algae on top of that pot shows that the soil has got very damp and the drainage isn't great.  If you can lift it up off the ground to improve drainage, that might help.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 18:57 »
Eventually, the bigger the better - their roots spread a lot.  I'd look for a couple of feet diameter for a semi-established rhubarb.

Assuming permanent planting in the pot, go for John Innes #3.  That's for such permanent plants.  It has the highest proportion of soil in it and will retain nutrients and water better.

I've been given an estimate of 15-16 months until my turn for a plot, so it's just until they can go into the ground.

So it's more about what will keep them happy. A specific cm/inch figure that will do until then.

-edit

Thompson & Morgan suggest a minimum of 40 litres is needed to grow rhubarb. But I'm not sure how that would translate from a grow bag to a container.

By the way, the green algae on top of that pot shows that the soil has got very damp and the drainage isn't great.  If you can lift it up off the ground to improve drainage, that might help.

Not sure why they're so wet considering it's the same containers I raised other plants in without issue. They're under cover off the ground as well, so not being regularly rained on.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 21:01 by GreyScales »

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
rhubarb new

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2012, 20:29
by rowlandwells
xx
Rhubarb

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 11:39
by mumofstig
xx
Rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2015, 13:44
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.619 seconds with 31 queries.