How to get thick/fat leeks?

• 13 Replies

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
How to get thick/fat leeks?
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:05 »
Last year was my first year as an allotment holder and I had success with pretty much everything I grew, with exception of cucumber, which appeared to commit suicide for no apparent reason.

I grew a lot of leeks and only around 50% of them got to a reasonable thickness, with the rest being not much bigger than spring onions.

Does anyone have any tips on how to grow thick leeks?

I have a feeling that I may not have prepared the ground properly, or fed them...but that's just a guess.

Any help is gratefully received.

Cheers,
Jim.
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

AlaninCarlisle

Re: How to get thick/fat leeks?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 09:42 »
Feeding is the most important thing. There are many other factors such as selection of the right type for the time of planting, soil preparation etc but I, like you, never had fat leaks until a local grower told me about the importance of feeding.

The breakthrough for me was using high nitrogen feed (pasture fertiliser, make sure it's not a multi-purpose one with moss-killer or weed-killer) at planting and then every few weeks

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:14 »
I give mine sulphate of potash about six weeks after they have been planted out (Chicken pellets at the time of planting, blood, fish & bone a week or so before hand)  and then once more in the Autumn and another dose around the beginning of March for those I have left.

Seems to work OK  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

crh75

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 16:30 »
When did you sow them and when did you plant them out?  On a couple of occasions I have left them in pots too long before planting out and they have been on the small side.  Although they sit in the ground happily all winter, they do their growing while it is warmer so they need a bit of summertime. 

Aled

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 16:44 »
ASimilar position to me about a month ago. Added a bit of liquid feed and Mine are getting there, i dont plan to let them grow huge before harvesting. I'll add a bit more feed this weekend.
Cheers
Aled

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 16:44 »
Sown Blauwgroene Bandit (Thompson and Morgan), early March last year, and planted out about 220 in mid June.

They're a late leek, and respond extremely well to weekly liquid feeding with comfrey, nettle and 6X tea, until autumn. (September).

So far, they've grown bigger than any we've tried before, and not one has bolted yet, so fingers crossed. The biggest is about 2" diameter, and none are under an inch, but they're not that long, so dibble them deeper than the six inches we did!

Luckily they made up for the brussels failures this year...

Totty

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 17:03 »
If you want large leeks, you have to start by growing leeks that want to get big. I grew a variety called Snowdon last year. They are huge, and very healthy. I'll be growing the same this year as a slightly earlier crop than the bleu solaise, which I'll be sowing later. I also have some pendle improved which will be massive come September time for showing.
Sow early, in modules, transplant to either deep cat litter trays ( DD style) or deep pots. Giving them plenty of depth of compost at this stage means they keep growing strongly, and less likely to stress through drying out. This could cause them to bolt later on.
Plant them in rich, well worked ground, top dressed before planting with either an organic fertiliser, such as BFB or inorganic such as Growmore. I like to use a slightly higher nitrogen fertiliser, with 10:7.5:10 being my preference.
Another dressing halfway through the season with any of the above should be more than adequate to provide you with large leeks next year.

Totty

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 17:11 »
When did you sow them and when did you plant them out?  On a couple of occasions I have left them in pots too long before planting out and they have been on the small side.  Although they sit in the ground happily all winter, they do their growing while it is warmer so they need a bit of summertime.

Sowed them in deep trays in February (3rd last year) and kept them on the floor in the frost free greenhouse until they were up and had their second leaf and then they went out in the mini plastic tomato house, until the last frosts when they came out into the garden. Fed them twice in the trays.

Planted them out after all the first early potatoes were dug, with two weeks in between, so around the middle of June  (I had a lot of potatoes and dug them as we ate)

Others on our site had theirs out well before me
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 17:12 by sunshineband »

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 18:55 »
I struggled the first few years to get decent leeks. This year I had the space to prepare a separate bed rather than waiting for the potatoes to be harvested and planted them at the end of May. A bit early I think as they suffered a bit from Rust - but I have ended up with some good size leeks as a result.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 18:59 »
It was my first year this year and I followed DDs cat litter tray method and I have loads of huge leeks. I just used some BFB and chicken pellets at planting and more pellets around late summer and that was it. I have had a bit of rust I need to look into stopping but other than that... I am over run with fat leeks  :wub:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 19:15 »
There are a few rust-resistant varieties to look out for  ;)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 21:30 »
I suspected there would be :)

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 21:22 »
Thanks guys.

Jim

sarajane

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 22:16 »
I've come to the conclusion we're better planting them by June at the latest.  We usually sow late feb/early March to be planted out in June.  We were very late last year sowing and waited too long to plant, hence pittiul leeks this year.

Like others have said they need to put on their growth in the summer and autumn months to reach a decent size.

xx
Pretend I'm really thick..................

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 22:35
by fletcherbaker
xx
Being thick but when are gooseberries

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 16:53
by Beetroot queen
xx
Potatoes - sorry to be thick but....

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 07:19
by gobs
xx
Thick-necked onions

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 17:47
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.589 seconds with 30 queries.