Poorly chicken ?egg peritonitis

• 6 Replies

Penylan chooks

Poorly chicken ?egg peritonitis
« on: January 08, 2014, 19:19 »
Hi I am new to the forum so hope I post this question and make some sense! I have had three chickens for just over two years now aquiring them at 16 weeks old. One of the chickens ,a sussex laid well in her first year but did produce a couple of very large double yolkers. Last year she never got going after the dark nights and only laid two proper eggs all year but quite a few soft shelled eggs and ones with no shell. She had a few days when she seemed unwell but recovered after a few days. She has been well over the autumn and has had a successful moult and seemed very lively and happy. Since Sunday she has been subdued and is not eating properly. Her poo has ranged from thick white to watery white with green and yellow bits. She is drinking water. She is not hunched or penguin like but just standing or sitting around with not too much interest in things. Her comb has turned from red to pink and is flopped over. Do you think the large eggs she laid could have caused some internal damage and that she is passing the eggs internally? The other two are very well and on top form but not laying yet although I do not think it will be long before they do.  Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

barley

Re: Poorly chicken ?egg peritonitis
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 20:04 »
I had a hen with egg peritonitis - I had her put to sleep as its an awful infection and survival rate is very rare  :(

It may not be that but she does sound rather poorly doesn't she - try to see a vet asap

good luck

Penylan chooks

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 20:38 »
Thanks for your help. I will see how things are in the morning.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 23:48 »
How is she?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Penylan chooks

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:11 »
Well, she's still subdued and her crest is dull and flat. She is wandering around the garden a bit and spending some time with the others.

I offered a few grapes this morning and she competed with the other two for them but then didn't seem interested in actually eating them. Seems to be drinking. Poo seems very wet and yellow/ egg yoke coloured.

I'll try to attach a photo of this morning's poo from the roosting box floor ... yuk!
Suziepoo.JPG

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:16 »
Pooh, that doesn't look good. Agree that if you can, get her to a vet.  I would avoid treats like grapes, although I know its hard to resist tempting her to eat with things like that. Just don't think it will help with the runny poo  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 12:13 »
yes get her to a vets as soon as possible, explain that the egg has broken inside her.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Egg peritonitis

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2007, 22:49
by redjane11
xx
Egg peritonitis in an old chook?

Started by TanyaGibson on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2015, 01:41
by TanyaGibson
xx
can egg peritonitis be cured?

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 07:55
by CattinJ
xx
egg peritonitis and strange object

Started by TanyaGibson on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post April 14, 2014, 08:15
by joyfull

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 37 queries.