Stormy weather? No worries!

• 16 Replies

AlecF

Stormy weather? No worries!
« on: December 23, 2013, 19:41 »
Ugh! - can anyone remember a worse night for going out to lock up the chickens? Well, I just stayed indoors nice and snug, because I didn't need to!

I have been using one of those electronic doorkeepers for ten years now, which shuts the door automatically at dusk and re-opens it at dawn. In all that time it only let me down once - when the thin cord broke - and that was easily replaced.

I bought mine direct from the small German manufacturer and their backup service has been excellent, but maybe there are others now available - search on "electronic doorkeeper" for details.

The times when it is really useful is when going out in the evening to a club talk or social outing, and not having to worry about asking a neighbour to lock up for me.

My son tells me he plans to make something similar for his own garden, using a Raspberry Pi microcomputer, light sensor, motor and battery. Nine months later, he still hasn't finished it. 'Nuff said!

Alec.

grinling

Re: Stormy weather? No worries!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 15:01 »
It might have been wise to make sure that the birds were inside and that there was no problems due to the weather. Others on here have reported problems with automatic pop holes and owners relying on them and not knowing things were wrong.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 08:44 »
Good point Grinling.  False sense of security.  Mine is a godsend when I'm away but a neighbour still checks...although... a surveillance camera is not an impossibility in the future!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

AlecF

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 16:24 »
Yes, I do agree about the need to double-check. However, if the pop-hole is within sight of your house, a piece of reflective strip on the door is all you need - and a powerful torch!

grinling

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 19:22 »
I have to walk up the garden for mine, but never close the pop hole as they are in a secure run. Walk up though to remove of house roof.

Prod

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 21:49 »
My first coop came with an automatic door but it had to have the timer unit changed twice. It worked fine until I needed to change the hour eg  winter/summer when it just wouldn't power up again. Third time I complained to manufacturer, no help just wanted £25 to replace it.........  Now I have 6 coops  so I didn't bother wasting the £25 as I have to lock up the others anyway!!

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 12:45 »
I have an auto door opener and it's been pretty poor. It has the option of timer/sensor. We changed the batteries and it hasn't been the same since - the timer now doesn't work and the sensor option closes too early and opens too late. Only had it 6 months and the seller didn't want to know.

Now ordered one with a separate timer unit that looks to have good reviews... fingers crossed.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

pepsi100

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:24 »
I dont have an automatic door opener on mine, just a bit of string to open and close it, I close it down at dusk, the wife opens it before she goes to work (ridiculous shifts, starts at 5am, so she is up at 4am)

So far its been very good, never failed yet

Just lately they stick their heads out to see what the weather is like before going out, they like the wet ground, but not so much the wind
It's all about the journey, not the destination

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 10:11 »
It might have been wise to make sure that the birds were inside and that there was no problems due to the weather. Others on here have reported problems with automatic pop holes and owners relying on them and not knowing things were wrong.

That is when the infra red camera in the coop does its stuff , position it right and you can see the door is closed and you can watch the girls settle down for the night!

;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:12 by 8doubles »

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 01:01 »
I have a very reliable door opener, it's never been missed yet. Regular as clockwork as soon as it's daybreak the door is opened - she also cleans them out at the same time, no wonder I married her!

However, I get to close them up!

I'm not young enough to know everything!

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 13:16 »
Now don't overdo it, :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 16:54 »
8doubles - seriously cinsidering it...can you advise on how you set it up?

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 17:09 »

Yea, 8doubles this sounds like it could be fun, as well as setting it up can you provide details of what it is exactly, make/model and the cost and where it came from? Also is is cordless?

Sorry to put you to so much trouble.

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 17:25 »
My camera was just a cheap wired infra red (£7.50 in sale from Lloyds chemists) that i extended the cable on , luckily i did not have far to run to the chooks winter quarters.
I would just plug in to the tv and check the girls were safe in bed on wet and stormy nights.
There are lots of small wireless cams now available for wildlife/birdbox watching which may be suitable but i have no experience of them.
If you ask on the chat forums you may get better intelligence.

Worth dolng as you can see roosting behaviour , laying and keep an eye on unwell hens ! :)

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 17:34 »
Thanks for that, I really fancy the idea of being able to see whats going on day and night. Think I'll go search that well known auction site and see whats available.

xx
Hatching worries, day 21

Started by Hayley'sHens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 12:14
by Sarah Mitchell
xx
We're due some BAD weather so.....?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 20:06
by Goldfinger
xx
Under the weather!!!

Started by Molly Hen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 19:27
by Molly Hen
xx
Under the weather hen

Started by BillPass on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 11:48
by BillPass

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 28 queries.