duck not eating since fox attack & wound on back

• 3 Replies

dchubbuk

duck not eating since fox attack & wound on back
« on: December 11, 2013, 19:42 »
My peking duck was attacked on the 6th December this year we checked her over and there was a not very large wound on her leg we took her in for the weekend let go back into the run with her mate and chickens she walked with limp but today she couldn't stand at all we have brought her back in but she's not been eating i checked her mouth and its clear so don't understand why she's not eating she's been drinking fine.but today i found a wound on her back that we missed its not big can i wash it with antiseptic dettol and what can i feed her with  My vets round here are useless they don't know anything about poultry or game that's why I'm on here i hope some of you can really help with your input 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: duck not eating since fox attack & wound on back
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 08:04 »
clean her wound with cooled boiled water then pat dry. Apply some wound powder to the wound - this is an antiseptic and will help keep the wound dry. Do this daily.
As for food try your duck on a mash - made with boiled water and pellets then cooled off - make it quite sloppy as her throat could be sore from quaking when the attack happened or if the fox could have tried to grab the neck it could be sore from that. You can buy avipro plus - which is a powder that can be mixed in water and this will help, good luck x
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:48 »
Agree Joyfull. Do not use dettol this can cause inflammation! You can add salt to the boiling water. Vets would wash in saline solution. There is a very good chance that there is infection and anti biotics may be needed. :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

dchubbuk

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 14:38 »
Thanks for the advice . I called wildlife recuse centers they all had different advise though ! I tried all of them i bought so powder glucose and added some to her water i found a large box she couldn't get out of and added straw to it i also bought some Hypocare - Infection Control Spray for Animals - 250ml
last week as after we got her in a settled a few days later we found a wound on the back of her neck and just above one wing after using for one week the wounds have heald i put her in my shower lukewarm which she just loved  never seen her so clean !! Today she was outside her mates run she started eating !! But i want her to put some weight on before she goes back so hopefully by this weekend she will be back with her mate and chickens caked in mud !!

xx
Dead Duck in the pond, suspected mink attack

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 04, 2009, 21:30
by chick with chicks
xx
cleaning a wound

Started by sminky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 15:14
by wadz81
xx
Open wound on crop

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 19:15
by Foxy
xx
Antiseptic wound powder - is it suitable for hens

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 19:16
by joyfull

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 37 queries.