Open wound on crop

• 10 Replies

nicchick

• Experienced Member
Open wound on crop
« on: March 05, 2009, 13:07 »
Hi, my hen that had an op for an impacted crop 11 days ago and was healing nicely has pecked off the scab on her wound this morning. I bathed it with salted boiled water and dried it and stuck it back together with superglue. It looked really clean and she had been healing really well. I took her babygro vest off her 2 days ago and had been putting some vicks round the area to put her off pecking I thought she would leave it alone. Have I done the right thing? Nic.

poultrygeist

Re: Open wound on crop
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 17:22 »
Hi nic. Just noticed this post.

No idea but I would try some wound powder and/or purple spray to assist healing and hopefully put her off pecking.
If it's really bad could you take her back to the vets for a look-see ??

I suppose it's a case of stick it together (which you've done), keep it clean (which you've done) and stop her pecking it again (which hopefully you've done).

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 17:32 »
maybe boil the baby gro and stick it back on her? could be that the wound is feeling "itchy" as it heals and thats why shes pecking. The baby gro will protect the wound when she is perching too. B........y good idea popping a babygro on her!!! :) :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 18:38 »
Yes could be itchy as Foxy says.

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 18:47 »
Would germolene help ??

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 18:52 »
Would germolene help ??

Rob 8)

Probably best leaving alone as it is a closed wound -and anything that prevents rubbing of the area is a good idea, but germolene is very good for grazes or open wounds and useful to have in our first aid cupboards for chooks (as well as sutures, oxygen, IV drips, theatre greens.....  :D)

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 19:04 »
Hi, I think the problem was she pecked the wound the morning after the op and it was glued back together but as it healed there was a bit of a scab. I have had her in my workshop with the bald ex-bats and she has been on newspaper changed several times a day. I thought she would be ok today and to be honest it looked like it was going to come off soon.
Today there was absolutely no-one around to help so it sounds awful but I tied her legs together (loosely) and flipped her on her back and got a really good look at it. I've just checked her and it has held.
I didn't want to take her to the vet as they would probably want to anaesthetise her to stitch it. My friend says that it's important it holds together as if it leaves a hole she will need a skin graft! She then said "we don't do skin grafts on chickens".
I was just a bit panicked earlier but read a posting by Munty and feel a bit more confident. Poor Hen has had so many Baytril injections over the last week or so it looks like a needle exchange in there!

On a much happier note the hen that had an egg burst 12 days ago has been fine and laid two normal eggs. We were hoping to introduce them all back to the flock at the weekend so will have to see how they get on.
Thanks for making me feel a bit happier about it all, Nic.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 19:07 »
super glue is a great idea - they use it on humans.  Keep an eye on it :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 19:08 »
Whoever said keeping chickens is simple and worry-free hasn't kept chickens  :lol: :D

Well done for taking such care and keep us updated.

Rob 8)

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 19:13 »
I know! Luckily I work from home and have very understanding customers. I've got the three of them lined up in front of me - Barbara in her babygro and then two alarmed looking baldies all scratching and trilling. They are learning a lot about interior design and all went quiet when Pippa Greenwood was on R4. Seriously though it has been great to be able to keep an eye on them all but it definately isn't stress free at the moment. Nic.

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 19:15 »
 :D :D :D

xx
open crop

Started by crapaud on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 23:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
cleaning a wound

Started by sminky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 15:14
by wadz81
xx
Antiseptic wound powder - is it suitable for hens

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 19:16
by joyfull
question
duck not eating since fox attack & wound on back

Started by dchubbuk on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 18, 2013, 14:38
by dchubbuk

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 36 queries.