animal tunnels in compost

• 26 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: animal tunnels in compost
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 23:41 »
I knew someone who died from Weil's disease.  Yes, it was *probably* through a water-borne infection but they weren't sure.

Given that it is possible to keep rats and other animals out of the compost heap, and thus any infections they may bring with them, I think I'll err on the safe side if you don't mind.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

yeadonyoungy

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 19:33 »
Thanks to everyone for replies...think I'll dig out/re-mix the compost (I've got some ash from a garden burner to add) and if anything jumps out I'll post a message. Don't like the idea of a rat and will hold off the kitchen waste for a while
PS not sure if this message goes to individuals or just is added to bottom of list.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 19:56 »
It appears at the bottom of the list of posts, so everyone can see it  ;)

barley

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 20:44 »
I have killed 5 rats in my garden this year - just imagine if they had been allowed to live and breed !!!!!

we would probably have 100 or more around by now !!!!!!

don't like to kill any living creature but if left unchecked pests will takeover

Nobbie

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 10:06 »
I have killed 5 rats in my garden this year - just imagine if they had been allowed to live and breed !!!!!

don't like to kill any living creature but if left unchecked pests will takeover

They would find a natural balance depending on the food sources available and predators. Best bet is not to leave potential food around for them and they'll move on. The problem is usually with people less careful and those who leave bread out for the birds on the floor >:(

compostqueen

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 11:19 »
I get fed up of cats in my garden but to be fair to them they are managing the mouse and rat problem. The rat in my bin was cleared away by the drowning the bin contents in lots of cold water, no chemicals or traps required.  I didn't dare poke it down though til I was sure it was gone  :lol: 

Kitchen bin waste in compost should be ok. I make lots of lovely compost by this method. I like it best as there are no weed seeds in it and it seems to be ready much quicker than garden compostibles.  A mouse in your bin is a boon but if you do get a rat try flushing it out of its bed. They don't like a cold, wet bed  :)

barley

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 17:46 »

They would find a natural balance depending on the food sources available and predators. Best bet is not to leave potential food around for them and they'll move on. The problem is usually with people less careful and those who leave bread out for the birds on the floor >:(

I live in a rural location and natural food sources are all around me in wheat fields etc - I pick up all chicken feed after feeding in the morning so no food source around from me and still I had 5 rats !!!!
( had 3 adders too but that's another story)

be under no illusion that rats will disperse if food source removed - they will always find natural food sources in grass leaves vegetation and fruits, Brown rats favour cereal, but being true omnivores they are known to eat almost anything.

in urban areas where food is plentiful  they would be on an epidemic scale if not controlled
It is irresponsible to not control rats and other vermin  - a female rat can produce up to 84 young a year and
rats-multiply-so-quickly-that-in-18-months-two-rats-and their off spring can-have-over-a-million-descendants

Kirpi

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 10:38 »
As you say in an urban area there is a constant source of nutrients, so I respectfully suggest that a gardener killing 5 rats is merely going to create a space for other rats to move into, so you would make no difference to the population at all.

Surely the best way in an urban environment would be for humans to stop consuming so much food that they end up putting abundant amounts of cooked food scraps out for the rat population every bin day. It's not the rat's fault that we are such gluttons, they are just exploiting rich pickings which we provide.

yeadonyoungy

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 12:01 »
With stick at the ready I lifted stored wood and plastic off my ready to use left side, expecting something to jump out- but nothing!. something had burrowed into the compost but I mixed it all again and have not covered it ( My compost area has 3 solid sides and a roof, with an old door loose at the front).

8doubles

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 13:01 »

Agreed that man providing food is often the problem but natural balance is not as nice it sounds, nature is very good at boom then bust . Starvation and disease is very natural and less pleasant than some (poison excluded) human control.

I favour nippering the problem in the bud ! ;)

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 20:31 »
I've got a dormouse sized hole in one of my compost bins. I seem to remember hearing that if you've mice then at least you know the rats haven't moved in yet. Is this (generally) correct?

Cheers,
Balders

R6robbo

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 16:33 »
I had a rats nest in my compost heap once which i uncovered whilst shovelling it
into my barrow to put on the beds. There were a handful of pink babies which i had
to despatch with my shovel, not nice I know but once uncovered they were out in the open
so would probably die anyway. I hate killing any animal but sometimes there's no choice.
I found that they tend to move in if you cover the heap as i did with a tarp, it keeps out the rain
and keeps in the heat which is what we want but unfortunately makes ideal living/breeding
conditions for the rats.
         I also found that an occasional soaking with cold water discourages them along with
an occasional turning of the heap (bear in mind i have had several v large rats jump out at me using these
methods so tuck your trousers in and spade at the ready. lol.) .
After a 3 year wait i finally have my allotment. HELP! (2/10/11)

xx
tunnels in my compost.

Started by eli on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 00:18
by Paul Plots
xx
What animal is this?

Started by sheridan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 07:11
by arugula
xx
Animal vandal

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 31, 2006, 10:26
by twysted1
xx
poly tunnels

Started by tali on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 15, 2007, 23:16
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 31 queries.