Questions on blueberries.

• 13 Replies

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
Questions on blueberries.
« on: December 01, 2013, 16:37 »
After looking at shop blueberry prices, I decided I'd rather have my own plants :) I've considered it in the past but was worried about space, but some has become available in the south facing front of the house. So I've ordered two blueberry plants (all I could reasonable fit in sadly), which are due to arrive the end of December.

In the meantime I've been doing more research, but I'm finding conflicting information I hope people may be able to help with?

Online says they like acid well draining (but moist) compost, but many sites recommend mixing John innes No. 3 with it, a slow draining loam based material. Wouldn't that mess with the PH levels? They also don't mention to what ratios, whether its 50/50 or 30/70 etc. to keep the acidity dominant and it well draining.

Another inconsistency is regarding pot size. There are sites saying the container should be 'no smaller' than 45cm, while another site says 30cm is the minimum... Being limited on space, smaller is of course better for me. But I wouldn't want the containers so small that it's detrimental the plant. So I'd appreciate any recommendation on what container size would be optimal, as the 45cm figure is a big reason why I only ordered two plants; despite the significant discount on three...  :(

Finally I understand being an acidic soil plant I can only feed it certain fertilisers. I read blueberries will accept BFB, which would be good because it's primarily what I use. But then I stumbled on another site saying BFB will rise the PH level over time. Best stick with the Ericaceous fertilisers?

That should hopefully be everything :lol: I appreciate clarification on any of these area  :happy:

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
Re: Questions on blueberries.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 17:37 »
They need an acidic soil, I have never had problems with them in a moisture retentive mix. Generally I have avoided any mix that drain well, never heard of them requiring to be well drained but have heard of being kept moist. Water with rain water, even tap water will be too alkaline.

Pot size then really the bigger the better, mine are in a 50cm dia pot, also about 50-60cm tall.

If you want to actually get to eat the fruit then net them. Birds really like blueberries - especially blackbirds, and they get up earlier then you do.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 18:08 »
Thompson and Morgan recommends well draining with John innes mixed in.

Blueberries require a well drained, acid soil in a sunny or semi shaded position. In areas where acid soil does not naturally occur, grow blueberry plants in patio containers using a mix of ericaceous compost and John Innes No. 3.

Glad you recommend 50cm as that's what I planned to go for. Was just worried the recommended size would have meant I could have had one more plant than expected, considering the three plant deal I would have missed.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 18:17 by GreyScales »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 19:59 »
The addition of JI #3 to the compost will improve nutrient and moisture retention.  Compost isn't really designed for permanent planting.  Shouldn't affect pH.

I would say that if the plant is pretty small when it comes, start it off in a smaller pot.  Plants can be unhappy in a pot which is too big for them.

Haven't heard about BFB raising the pH - hopefully others may be able to comment further.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 21:02 »
Advice I was given was to start in small pots and increase in size every other year till up to 50cm and then replace up to half the compost every year. I've always just used ericaceous compost and liquid fertilisers, water only with rain water and they must be kept moist. I'm told that they are native to and thrive in boggy conditions but not waterlogged. Here is a link.     

http://www.growyourown.info/page70.html

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 21:26 »
Loam-based composts are much more long lasting than soil-less types and have several other advantages too.

John Innes now specify an ericaceous compost formula suitable for lime-haters - This link doesn't specifically mention blueberries but their pH requirements are very similar to those that are listed.

5 manufacturers at the bottom of the web page which will hopefully enable you to locate some if you decide to go with it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 21:30 »
One thing people forget about is that blueberries are shallow rooted so they don't need very deep pots, but they need to be deep enough that the soil won't dry out too quickly.

The many varieties of blueberries are also many mature sizes so judge according with pot sizes regarding height and width, and what stage the growth is in when you buy a plant.

With ericaceous soils, they tend to neutralize over time so each year add something to help return the acidity, like specific plant food for rhodos and such, or garden sulphur (if available). Chicken manure/pellets are also beneficial for lowering pH. The level doesn't have to be rock bottom, just not too aklaline.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 14:08 »
They're supposed to be in 3 litre containers when delivered, so perhaps going straight to the 50cm pot would be too much of a jump for them... I have to wonder though, if too big a container can pose a problem; what about in ground where there is infinite space?

So John Innes ericaceous compost preferably as the potting medium, otherwise a mixture of John Innes No. 3 and ericaceous compost if I cannot find it locally. BFB should be ok, but use a ericaceous based one from time to time; just to make sure the PH is maintained. Start with say... a 36cm pot (got some spare) and increase each season? I know I'll have to install a water butt for the rain water, just hope we don't get prolonged dry periods like we did this summer otherwise will have to revert to tap.

Thank you for all the valuable information and recommendations, I'll definitely put them to practice  :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 14:35 by GreyScales »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 15:37 »
They're supposed to be in 3 litre containers when delivered, so perhaps going straight to the 50cm pot would be too much of a jump for them... I have to wonder though, if too big a container can pose a problem; what about in ground where there is infinite space?

It's sometimes said that too large a pot can hold too much excess water and potentially cause root rot, and it's also true that some plants flower better when slightly stressed by being in too small a pot and therefore probably also slightly undernourished.

My own view is that neither of these apply to blueberries, although of course they won't appreciate sitting permanently in a bog any more than you or I would!  8)  ;)

As you say, rainwater is best, soft tap water is OK, even hard tap water is better than no water.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 18:53 »
With ericaceous soils, they tend to neutralize over time so each year add something to help return the acidity, like specific plant food for rhodos and such, or garden sulphur (if available). Chicken manure/pellets are also beneficial for lowering pH. The level doesn't have to be rock bottom, just not too aklaline.

Pine needles are great for this and also provide a good mulch.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 18:34 »
Ours get tap water, which is hard in our area, when there are dry spells, as I do not always have enough saved rain water.

This is counteracted by incorporating sulphur chips into the top inch of soil each Spring, both for those in pots and those in the soil at the plot
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 14:17 »
Anyone using coffee grounds?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 19:20 »
Anyone using coffee grounds?

My Mum used to water her potted azaleas with them, and with tea left in the pot.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 12:06 »
Quite a lot of good nutrients in coffee grounds apparently, but according to THIS article (small .PDF file) there is considerable doubt about whether they do actually increase soil acidity.

xx
Blueberries

Started by Terry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2010, 08:34
by Terry
xx
Blueberries

Started by septiclecky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 20:03
by Yorkie
xx
Blueberries

Started by maralthemoral on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 01:40
by Trillium
xx
Blueberries

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 13:55
by Plot74

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 30 queries.