Non stick frying pan

• 18 Replies

gypsy

Non stick frying pan
« on: November 17, 2013, 18:51 »
Some how our rather expensive non stick frying pan that I won a few years ago has been in the dishwasher. It is now no longer non stick. I seem to remember that to revive non stick pans you boil vinegar in them, I tried that but it has not worked. Any ideas please.
Catherine

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Non stick frying pan
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 19:05 »
Despite all the fancy names over the years nearly all non-stick coatings are a type of plastic, which although fairly heat resistant will eventually fail (and very quickly if you overheat them.)

I'm all ears, because I don't know of any way of reviving them (the manufacturers don't have much of an incentive to make them "everlasting," do they?  ::)  :nowink:)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 19:59 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 19:36 »
Definitely agree with you, Jay. There's a tv commercial in Canada where a kid asks mum for some eggs, and mum pulls out this 10 ft long drawer lined with brand new non-stick frypans and takes one out. That's your first hint.

With progressive cooking, the non stick structure breaks down and becomes tacky so you have to use some sort of fat first even though the surface still looks good. 2nd hint.

by the time you have to use lots of grease/fat to keep things from sticking, you really should have thrown out the pan by now because you'll start getting tiny flecks of the coating in your food. Been there, done that.

I, and many of my friends, have switched to small cast iron frypans. Properly seasoned (there are lots of youtube videos on this), the pans need no to very little fat to properly cook food. The pan's thickness also minimizes burning. And, the pan lasts forever.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 20:52 »
 :mellow: My pans would last a lot longer if the plotfather didn't use them! The alternative is that I have to do all the cooking!  :( Can't have everything in life I suppose!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 21:57 »
I have the same problem plotmother!  I've bought some lovely frypans and a decent non stick wok, but they all get treated like *&%$*   by a certain someone.

The only way I have found to revive a non stick pan if you only want it for fried eggs or bacon etc, is I got the non stick circles from Lakeland.  You put one in the pan first, then you can fry an egg or the bacon, toms etc, but its no good obviously for things with a lot of liquid in them.

If you want a decent non stick frypan, my friend swears by her cera pan!  I haven't bought one yet, but its on my list!  ;)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 22:07 »
I have a Pampered Chef wok (ended up getting it for free - thanks to my friends purchases :happy:) has been brilliantly non-stick (as advertised - and at the price you could pay for it, so it darn well should!)
But after nearly 10 years, although it cleans up well, you need to stir things a bit more as they will start to stick if forgotten!!! ::)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 06:49 »
I though that non-stick frying pans came with their own chisel?

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:29 »
 :D :D :D :D

My Tefal ones are the longest lasting!

I paid quite a bit for a Judge induction one but the coating bubbled up and flaked off in no time, and the handle is diabolical.  I had the handle replaced but the new one just didn't fit at all and the entire handle just comes off in your hand  >:(

I have a cheap as chips Wilko one, and while the inside has been excellent, it's spoiled by a really poor outside coating which flaked off in a nano second  :nowink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 10:27 »

My Tefal ones are the longest lasting!

I'd agree!  my wok  (used most days, not just for stir-fry) is just getting a bit iffy after 5 years. I don't think that's bad  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 11:42 »

My Tefal ones are the longest lasting! I paid quite a bit for a Judge induction one but the coating bubbled up and flaked off in no time, and the handle is diabolical.  I had the handle replaced but the new one just didn't fit at all and the entire handle just comes off in your hand  >:( I have a cheap as chips Wilko one, and while the inside has been excellent, it's spoiled by a really poor outside coating which flaked off in a nano second  :nowink:
I hope you took the Judge one back as it obviously wasn't "fit for purpose" and also the outside of the Wilko wasn't either though, if you didn't mind that coming off, it still works well on the inside which is what you want.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grendel

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 12:06 »
we bought some cheap woks and not a frying pan but similar with a flat bottom and straight sides when we went to france, about half the price of tefal, and we have found that they last very well, one thing to remember is that you never put them through the dishwasher- just a quick rinse when you have finished cooking and a wipe round gets them clean (the dishwasher killed the first one - eventually after about 18 months- thanks to the daughter not being bothered to rinse and wipe), I will try and remember to check the brand when I get home from work.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 12:20 »
My take on washing non-stick pans is to keep the surface as clean and scratch-free as possible, so I wash them in soapy water. My latest one has lasted 4 years so far...
My ordinary frying pan only gets a rinse and a wipe as it has taken me ages to get a good surface on it and I don't want to spoil it.
I don't worry about the outsides at all
Anne

Steveharford

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 12:25 »
One of the problems with frying pans is their tendency to curve up on the base, thus losing their flat bottom and making frying an egg or anything very frustrating with all the oil or whatever collecting in a ring and not covering the middle. Having vowed to find one that kept its shape, and also it's non stick properties I eventually splashed out on a Berghoff. The non stick is cast into the pan so doesn't come off. It's some sort of special ceramic mix. After two years it is showing no signs of deterioration and is so easy to clean. I bought one for my son last Christmas and also bought a proper sauce pan (for making sauce) in the same range this year. No more burnt pans from sticking sauces now. Not cheap but well worth the investment in my view. If you find them online but can wait, they usually have a stand at the big food, gardening shows such as malvern etc where they are about 20% cheaper. One of the demos they do is poach an egg in a dry pan with the lid on and it just rolls out of the pan. Also they burn rice then just tip it out to leave a clean pan. Hey, that's enough ! I should be on commission here !

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 15:27 »
All teflon pans work like that when brand new, steve. It's the time thing that changes them.

And the big problem I have with teflon pans is that they bow up in the middle so that everything inside, runs down to the sides. I always use a medium to low heat and it's never helped.

gypsy

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 15:56 »
Some how our rather expensive non stick frying pan that I won a few years ago has been in the dishwasher. It is now no longer non stick. I seem to remember that to revive non stick pans you boil vinegar in them, I tried that but it has not worked. Any ideas please.
I contacted the manufacturers  - Swiss Diamond, they suggest rubbing gently with a paste made from baking soda.

xx
Need a non-stick recipe for..

Started by catllar on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 19:39
by catllar
xx
Stick blender recommendations?

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post January 08, 2014, 19:29
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 29 queries.