Killing blight spores in greenhouse growbags?

• 4 Replies

fekq

• Experienced Member
Killing blight spores in greenhouse growbags?
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:30 »
I have about 8 bags of compost in the greenhouse that I used to grow tomatoes in this summer.

The toms eventually succumbed to blight (at end of season)

I usually empty the used compost over the flowerbeds when I've cleared those, but this year am thinking of using the ex-tomato compost to grow salad, herbs etc over winter under glass

However: if I do this, I'll be keeping the blight spores in the greenhouse, and all my cleaning and sulphur candle burning that I'm planning this weekend will go to waste --- will it not? I will be growing toms (in new compost) in the greenhouse next year, so don't want to start the season with blight already there.

I wondered whether pouring a kettle of boiling water over the top layer of compost in each bag would kill the blight off? Or if I left the bags of compost in the greenhouse when the sulphur candle's burning would that do the trick?

your thoughts / experience please!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Killing blight spores in greenhouse growbags?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:07 »
I can't really give any other answer than the one I gave in a previous discussion about re-using compost (it's the same fungus that blights potatoes and tomatoes.)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=110593.msg1249388#msg1249388

Could you not leave the scrub down and sulphur candle until the spring so you can still grow your winter salads, starting off the main growing season next year with a newly-prepared GH and fresh compost - I think you'd sleep better at night next summer if you did!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 15:00 »
I've always been told that blight spores only survive on living plants not in the soil or compost.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 15:38 »
Research is ongoing.
In the thread, linked to above, there's a quote from the RHS  ::)

The fungus can also produce resting spores (oospores) in the plant tissues that can contaminate the soil. Little is known about their survival and their potential as a source of the disease. The investigations into oospores are continuing and more information may be available in a few years.

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 22:58 »
The only experience that I can add is that I didn't think that blight survived in the soil. I grow tomatoes in the border of the greenhouse. I had late blight in 2010 but its not reappeared in subsequent years.

I did make sure to get rid of any infected plant material at the time but haven't done anything else special.

xx
Does Comfrey hold blight spores?

Started by stooby doo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 20:46
by stooby doo
xx
Using hot air gun to destroy tomato blight spores

Started by jayvee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 13, 2006, 15:32
by muntjac
xx
Reconsidering growbags in the greenhouse

Started by JulesJ on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 09:40
by paintedlady
xx
My onions have grey spores on them ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 23:34
by NASH

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 30 queries.