What to use to make paths ?

• 36 Replies

cadalot

Re: What to use to make paths ?
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 07:34 »
Dyospyros - I used lawn edging the green plastic corrugated stuff that comes in a roll around the beds and weed membrane between 1.2m wide cut to 600mm the widths of my paths and then put the woodchip on that - I tried cardboard instead of weed membrane an that appear to work just as well but I'm guessing the worms will convert it in time.

DiggingDave

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 14:02 »
Hi everyone. I've been reading for a while but this is my first post. I've been doing half an allotment for a couple of years but we got our own in July last year. It was very overgrown but we've just about mastered it now.
I think i may be able to get my hands on a load of old astroturf for free to use on my paths.

Has anyone used this and what were your experiences of it ?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2013, 18:01 »
Hi everyone. I've been reading for a while but this is my first post. I've been doing half an allotment for a couple of years but we got our own in July last year. It was very overgrown but we've just about mastered it now.
I think i may be able to get my hands on a load of old astroturf for free to use on my paths.

Has anyone used this and what were your experiences of it ?

It would probably keep the weeds down but I'd have concerns about slipperiness either when wet or muddy.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 18:03 »
Question on grass paths.

A lady at my local allotment tells me it's important to eliminate any grass, because wireworm breeds in it and attacks your potatoes. Wireworm I'm told is a nuisance at the allotment I'm on the waiting list for...

Surely if you have grass paths, you're creating a breeding ground for wireworm surrounding your beds?

Is the allotment site relatively new and previously grassland?

It's true that wireworms like living in grassland, but I've never heard of them being a major problem simply from grass paths after the rest of the plot has been in cultivation for, say, 3-4 years.

That being said, if it's quite an established site and they know that the grass paths cause these problems, I'd be minded to take their advice.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 22:24 »
I have just replaced the grass paths on my plot with wood chippings over a weed membrane.
CIMG6063_crop ps.jpg

cadalot

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 06:09 »
Micky B

Very neat, not sure about the trip hazard where paths cross though  :blink:

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 08:47 »
Micky B Very neat, not sure about the trip hazard where paths cross though  :blink:

Cheers.  :)

I didn't want to cut the edging boards on the main path because the other paths are going to be moved around next season, I will just have to remember to pick my feet up.

xx
Paths

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2006, 09:59
by John
xx
Paths

Started by Half a plot man on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 19:39
by DavidT
xx
grass paths

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 16:15
by sunshineband
xx
Clover paths?

Started by davejg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 01:49
by Kirpi

Page created in 1.296 seconds with 30 queries.