Growing onions through landscaping fabric

• 12 Replies

jambop

Growing onions through landscaping fabric
« on: October 26, 2013, 16:31 »

I thought that next year I would try growing my onions planted through the fabric that keeps weeds at bay. I thought that in the autumn I would prepare the bed with plenty of manure and leave it over the winter then in the spring turn it all in and tread down then cover the ground with fabric and plant the seedlings through that with a dibber and grow them on. Has anybody tried this method and will it work?

Trillium

Re: Growing onions through landscaping fabric
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 16:38 »
Near us the Mennonite (religious group) market gardeners all raise onions this way. It saves oodles of time weeding the fields and is more organic. And yes, they do get good onions because they manure the fields and in alternate years raise cover crops that they till in.

It's not much different than heavy mulching, which is what I do. In a market garden or where you can't get hold of lots of wood chippings, some sort of weed barrier will work as well.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 16:50 »
I watched a video of someone planting onion seedlings using a device that dibbed a hole and planted the seedling through a plastic sheet which covered an onion bed, I think this was commercial grower. That got me thinking I could do the same in my veg plot and save a load of time weeding. Its not really the hoeing that I don't like but sometimes you can damage a bulb with the hoe. I have a hand swan neck hoe I use for onions and it works fine but thought I would try this method to do away with the weeding.

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 18:59 »
I had problems with weeding the onion and garlic bed last time so now have grown them through landscape fabric. The onions were sown from seed in pots in August and transplanted late September. Garlic were from sets. So far so good! Goodbye weeds! :D

jambop

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 19:32 »
Well looks like this could be a winner! I do not grow onions over winter even though we get a very good autumn I just plant out in the spring. I will start off my seeds about January and they will go out about mid march or beginning April. I actually planted seedlings out at the start of May one year and got amazing onions by mid September, they were an F1 variety.

timdunn

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 20:15 »
I've been doing this for a few years now and it does save loads of weeding time. My method is to use 100gsm woven landscape fabric (1 or 2m wide). I use a blow torch to make holes at the required spacing (stops fabric fraying). Prepare bed (in the early spring with good dressing of BF&B). Lay fabric over top and push sides into ground using a spade (no need to use pegs). I then plant sets through the holes and firm the soil round each. It's much easier if you don't compact the ground in any way, but guess that depends on soil type. The beauty of this method is you can use the fabric year after year (hence the need for a reasonable weight per meter) and all your spacing are then predetermined.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 20:53 »
This is what I did with my squash this year. Admittedly it was as this was my first year here and I had completely run out of the ability to dig any more by the time I got to them as I have been converting a lawn into a veg patch. I cheated shamelessly by just throwing down a load of rotted muck onto the lawn, covering it with fabric and then planting the squash through the fabric. Reconed if it didn't work I had lost nothing more than a couple of seedlings but they were brilliant! And this year it should be much easier to dig the sod over.

Is what I am going to do next year too as I gradually convert grass into veg bed.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 21:40 »
Just an observation...

I've grown sets through fabric but mine didn't make a good size, although I believed the ground was good.

The fabric seems to draw moisture up to the surface, and I wonder if that encourages shallow rooting in the crop.
It's particularly noticeable in hot weather, when the surface under the fabric remains moist, but when you might expect evaporation through the pores to dry the surface.

Anyway, I've taken to mulching the fabric with grass and debris to keep it cool in summer.  It looks prettier too...

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 12:20 »
Growing through a membrane worked well for my strawberries last year, it appeared to keep the bugs and weeds at bay and the fruit didn't rot when resting on top of the membrane - I am giving this another go for next year and I also planned to try it with onions and the brassica's.
131025_122819_crop_crop.jpg
Allotment 04.10.13_crop2.jpg

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 19:25 »
I have used this method for years for growing of onions, shallots, garlic etc., and it gives good results with very little weeding, so you can spend your time doing more useful things.

jambop

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 08:54 »
Hi Timdunn
How big did you make the holes? Just big enough to plant and let the bulbs grow underneath or bigger to accommodate the full bulbs size when formed later? Like the idea of reuse from year to year.

timdunn

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 21:55 »
About 8cm diameter but not an exact science. When the onions are ready I pull the fabric up which takes most of the onions with it, then just pull them through from the underside of the fabric  (so no problem if onions are a bit bigger than the holes).

JohnB47

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 14:16 »
I grew last years garlic and autumn onions through black fabric and it was a success. Weeding was down to almost nothing, just the odd thing to nip off that had poked up through the holes, and the outcome was good - garlic particularly. Some of the onions didn't do too well, but I think that's cos I left it too late planting and they didn't get going before the very cold weather hit.

I've now got some leeks growing the same way, as an experiment. If anything they look better than those growing the conventional way and I've had to weed those twice already. So that's looking like it will work too. Digging them up could be interesting.

Oh and ive also been growing my winter squash and courgettes through that stuff too. Works a treat. Very little weeding and less watering needed.

Thinking of growing my potatoes that way next year. 

xx
Growing onions through weed suppressant fabric

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 19:03
by realfood
xx
Onions through fabric or not?

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 17:47
by beanqueen
xx
growing through fabric

Started by Green Goddess on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 17:06
by DD.
xx
Growing potatoes under black weed control fabric

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 03, 2014, 09:02
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.507 seconds with 28 queries.